Beer line cleaner

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Re: Beer line cleaner

Post by adamzworld » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:14 pm

Thanks Jim. I tried to do the same and leave the pump handle in different positions whilst it was soaking. The line cleaner I use is blue in colour, but I assume it probably works the same way. Just out of interest, how much water do you pull through once you're happy that the line cleaner has done it's job? I measured 125ml line cleaner in with 5 litres of water and then draw another 5 litres of tap water to make sure all the line cleaner is washed out.

Cheers,

Adam

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:47 pm

I just draw a bucketful of water through then test it with the indicator papers than came with the cleaner.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:11 pm

Thanks again Jim. I didn't get any papers with mine but I assume these are just litmus test papers to test the PH?

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:25 pm

adamzworld wrote:Thanks again Jim. I didn't get any papers with mine but I assume these are just litmus test papers to test the PH?
I think it's phenolphthalein. It's white and goes pink when you put alkali on it.

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:16 pm

Thanks Jim. Does the one you use change colour if there's yeast in the line? Mine is blue in colour but I think this is purely to show when cleaner is in the lines, rather than to actually tell me if there's yeast in the lines.

Maybe I should invest in the purple one if it will detect yeast in the lines.

joe1002
Piss Artist

Beer line cleaner

Post by joe1002 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:11 pm

The purple line cleaner comes out green when the lines are mucky and purple when they are clean. Purple blc is an easy indicator, there are various brands of it.

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:17 pm

Thanks Joe. I think the one I bought must just be a basic line cleaner then as it doesn't change colour. Maybe I'll use what I've got left as drain cleaner and invest in the purple stuff that changes colour when the lines aren't clean.

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:39 pm

Check this thread, Jim linked to the one he buys, I've done the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:16 pm

Starsan vs beer line cleaner - two totally different things. Starsan will sanitise but won't clean, but beer line cleaner dissolves organic material such as yeast, skin, eyes...

If you leave stuff soaking too long, the yeast which has been dissolved reattaches itself to the surfaces you wanted cleaning. And then the purple dye will stain stuff as well. Give it 30 min only, use hot water.

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:33 pm

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but you should follow the instructions that came with your cleaner. Mine clearly says you must use cold water, draw through 3 times over 30 minutes and the dilution is 50-75mL in 5L of cold water. So generic advice from a forum could be dangerous since different cleaners are obviously available.

far9410
Even further under the Table

Post by far9410 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:54 pm

+1for line cleaner, first time I used it, fetched loads of crap out that stars an didn't touch
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:13 pm

Mine clearly says you must use cold water, draw through 3 times over 30 minutes and the dilution is 50-75mL in 5L of cold water. So generic advice from a forum could be dangerous since different cleaners are obviously available.
I find it cleans better with hot water. Most chemical reactions work better at high temperature. Pubs may clean with closed circuit, pressurised equipment and it may be a safer bet for the manufacturer to advise using cold water to avoid any over pressurisation.

OldConkerwood

Post by OldConkerwood » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:23 pm

Hi, I use Purple line cleaner, but only in my lines.(pub) for my homebrew I use bleach.
This is the Brewery standard procedure.
I pull through until a good purple colour is seen 4 pint jug, then give it ten minutes in the line, pull another 4 pints through- another 10 mins then repeat so the lines get 30 mins total immersion -then flush with water I pull off about 12 pints or 4 jugs of water- job done. Like Jim says you get a greenish colour reaction with residual "grime" more so with cask( probably yeast) than keg.
one more thing I cant leave without mentioning. (I know -you know.) :lol: Concentrated Purple line cleaner is Seriously Hazardous- I ware safety specs when handling it! 8)
Hope this helps somewhat.
Barnie.

tourer
Hollow Legs
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

Post by tourer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:36 pm

Jim wrote:Another vote for the purple stuff. I got mine online from Noble Express.

Prosan Plus Beerline Cleaner.
Greetings Jim, is there any reason why you prefer prosan over Kellyseye purple? The reason i ask is Prosan is twice the price of Kellyseye (dont know about postage though).

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:47 pm

tourer wrote:
Jim wrote:Another vote for the purple stuff. I got mine online from Noble Express.

Prosan Plus Beerline Cleaner.
Greetings Jim, is there any reason why you prefer prosan over Kellyseye purple? The reason i ask is Prosan is twice the price of Kellyseye (dont know about postage though).
I bought it years ago and it was all I could find at the time. I have enough to last me 2 lifetimes now. :lol:

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter