Crossmyloof - too good to be true?

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Crossmyloof - too good to be true?

Post by Sadfield » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:15 pm

Call me cynical, but aren't you all buying yeast repackaged in someones kitchen, not yeast from a supplier in Germany, as stated in different forums? I wonder how sterile the packaging environment is?

Looking at the facebook page, all the contact details when googled all relate to Carpentry business at a domestic address, and the ebay register address is another domestic address. It is on ebay, where pugsonmydoorstep raises suspicion as the only account that they follow is for a Chinese packaging supplier http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/accpackaging2014 who sell nice shiny gold vacuum packaging sachets. And also feature in there list of Feedback As Buyer.

And then there are the yeast descriptions that are all similar (but apparently not the same as) MJ, Lallemand and Safale yeasts that are all available in 500g packs. Brewers select sell 500g of mangrove jacks for circa £25 (50p for 10g).
Last edited by Sadfield on Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MyQul

Re: Crossmyloof - too good to be true?

Post by MyQul » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:23 pm

The only one I've tried is the Real Ale one. It was extremely malty but had a high attenuation 80%AA if I remember correctly. I dont know of any other dried ale yeast that fits both these descriptions

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:30 pm

M15 Empire Ale Yeast?

M15 Empire Ale Yeast - 10 g
M15 Empire Ale Yeast - 10 g
by Mangrove Jack's
Price$7.90 NZD
A top-fermenting ale yeast suitable for a variety of full bodied ales, with exceptional depth. Ferments with full, rich dark fruit flavors.

Suitable for Scottish Heavy Ales, American Amber Ales, Sweet Stouts and more.

Attenuation: High

Flocculation: High

Usage Directions: Sprinkle contents directly on up to 23 L (6 US Gal) of wort. For best results, ferment at 18-22 degrees C (64-72 degrees F).

Storage Recommendations: Store in the fridge

MyQul

Post by MyQul » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:52 pm

Possibly. But I from what I've read the Empire Ale yeast is the Newcastle Dark Ale yeast re-branded and I've used the NDA yeast. It had a much lower attenution (about 65% but I knew this so added some golden syrup to my reciepe to bring it up to about 72%), so nowhere near the 80% I got for the CML real ale yeast.

Also, from reports I've read of the califorian common yeast, it's quite powery. When I used the MJ Californian Common it had good flocctuation

FermentedCulture

Post by FermentedCulture » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:08 pm

There are hints for which yeast strains are comparable to other companies in the description of each product.
Last edited by FermentedCulture on Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:00 pm

I've always thought the same, someone was repackaging bigger bags, and Yeh, some may be good, and yet some may have some other unwanted friends or stuff in the packing.

But unless you do a post in which peeps say if had good/bad results, but with other factors included we will never realy know

But it's also a reason why I've never brought any, but if someone gave me a pack, I,d give it a try
To Busy To Add,

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:09 pm

'Usage Directions: Sprinkle contents directly on up to 23 L (6 US Gal) of wort.' A dead give away, I'd say, especially for an 'imperial' gravity wort.

Digby
Piss Artist

Post by Digby » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:41 pm

I have used the US Pale and the Belgian strains and had some lovely beers.

Looking forward to Kolsch next!

Matt

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:41 pm

I have used it plenty of times. Never had an issue, maybe I am lucky...

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:02 pm

I doubt the yeast has been repackaged in a vacuum/sterile environment but providing that they have taken basic precautions and sterilised everything apart from the air I don't really see much of an issue for the home brewer- after all, once we open a packet of yeast and pitch it at home nearly everyone will introduce some sort of contaminant however small. I can't speak from experience but I will be ordering some to try soon as everyone seems to be getting on well with their products :)
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

m_rawdin
Piss Artist

Post by m_rawdin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:13 pm

I've used both their yeast and their hops and have no complaints so far.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/341609746264187/

Fermenting: Nothing
Conditioning: Smoked porter
Drinking: Cider, witbier, brown ale, Milk stout
Planning: Gamma Ray clone v3

gregles
Steady Drinker

Post by gregles » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:57 pm

I have had excellent results from Crossmyloof so far. The kolsch yeast produced a very popular beer and I will be brewing this again

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:43 am

Kolsch yeast good here too.

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Post by Hairybiker » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:51 am

I've just had my first order delivered from them, got 10 packs of yeast to try out along with some hops.
Packaging looks good, but it will be a month before I try the yeast out.
Personally I have issues with re-packaging especially if the selling cost is kept down. I tend to split a packet of any yeast in 2 anyway, and never had any issues. Been doing that for about 3 years now, when the yeast cost more than doubled.
Been brewing since the 80's back then we had 5g yeast sachets. Now it is all you need to use 24g in this 5gal wort, PAH! won't catch me doing that, brewed up to 1080 using 6g with no problems. I don't do higher gravity beers anyway, usually around the 1055 mark. I've even re-used the pancake from one brew for the next when they were a week apart.

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:07 am

Sure these yeasts will make good beer. Although, I'm just seeing the name cropping up on different forums in threads of varying issues, maybe related, maybe not. However, slight bacterial or wild yeast contamination in yeast usually won't destroy a batch, but can cause off-flavours, haze or over-carbonation. Ordinarily the purity guarantees from yeast manufacturers rules out yeast as a potential culprit with these issues, leaving us to examine process faults elsewhere. I'm not sure CML offers this, with their data looking like it was cut and pasted from Mangrove Jacks spec sheets.

I just wonder if these products are as advertised.

*Packed in a sterile environment under lab conditions by a dedicated yeast manufacturer

Unless of course they are unbranded mangrove Jacks yeasts purchased directly from SPL International, and so not a unique product after all.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk