Help is my beer off?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
JonoT
Piss Artist

Help is my beer off?

Post by JonoT » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:15 pm

Hi,

Hoping for some advice.

10 days ago before heading for a week at a beer festival I did a double brew day. Brewed 2 recipe I've brewed before. Both fermented with MJ M44 yeast, though for the 1st time of using M44 and both bout sat the same temp in my large fridge just as I always do.

Last night I took final gravity reading and one is as expected at 1.010 and the other at 1.002. I've drawn off a sample of the beer at 1.002 and it doesn't smell or taste quite right. Having only lost one beeer before when a Corine lost pressure and beer tasted of vinegar and was cloudy. I'm not not good st working out what's gone wrong. The beer smells sort of of marzipan and acidic.

My guess is that I've got a yeast infection as it dropped so low or I didn't clean FV properally?

Does that sound aboiuqt right?

I don't want to waste my time kegging an off beer nor do I want to throw a beer that just done something unusual!

Any thought much appreciated

Thanks

JonoT

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Help is my beer off?

Post by Jim » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:23 pm

It does sound like a wild yeast has gotten in there somehow. :(
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

JonoT
Piss Artist

Post by JonoT » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:25 pm

Can that come from fault yeast or just not cleaning fv correctly?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:30 pm

Could be either. Maybe there was some sort of gunge left on your fv that you missed.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:50 pm

Jono,
I love these posts where people are scared of throwing away Beer! #-o
Don`t throw it yet. I`ve had a Beer smell of vinegar, I bottled as normal when all my thoughts were `this is going to be awful`,
MrsAles said `It smells like a Chip Shop in here`, Lloyd said `Oooooh, Nasty, I can smell Vinegar`.
2 months later the V smell had gone and the Beer was tasting BLM!
You have one good Beer, one suspect, get another Brew on to take your mind off things.
Tell your friends it is a `New Sour Beer` that you are making! :D

WA

JonoT
Piss Artist

Post by JonoT » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:35 pm

WA,

You make a good point. Having just come back from a beer festival, where on our bar we had this most horrid smelling sulphurs beer, we only had complaints in the trade session, and after that it was all drank and we sold the whole lot to the punters. We think it was due to bad water treatment at the brewery, we had it sent to the lab and all was fine to sell.

I going to need to brew another beer, as it was for the boys at work for a BBQ in sept, that's my job for my day off tomorrow row. Tidying the garage will have to wait!

I'll have another sample tomorrow and your right it could be lovely in a couple of months.

Thanks all again for the advice

Jono

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:25 am

I've found that MJ44 is very sluggish to get going so if your sanitation is not 100% there is an extended period for something else to take hold before your preferred yeast can.

I'll not use it again but if I had to I'd use two packs which is close to the price point of a much more reliable liquid variant.

JonoT
Piss Artist

Post by JonoT » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:30 am

That's a good point, now you say, I did notice that it had not got going before I left and US05 would have done. I'd not made that connection.

Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk