Solera!

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Solera!

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:07 pm

Hiya,

Thinking of doing a solera with a brown ale, aged with brett and sour for a year. In a 5 gallon glass carboy. I intend to draw 3 gallon off and sit on fruit, carbonate and drink or whatever, then top up the carboy with more brown ale, or maybe blend it with pale ale. So has anyone else done a solera? if so whats your experiences and at what temp did you store at?

Chars....

P

DaveyT
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Solera!

Post by DaveyT » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:04 pm

Sounds like a great idea. I haven't tried it, though.
I'm assuming you've looked at Michael Tonsmiere's website The Mad Fermentationist. I bet he's got goo things to say about it.

David
Evolution didn't end with us growing thumbs.
Bill Hicks

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Yeah I had one going for about 4-5 years. I had mine in a corny keg and would pull off 1/2 the keg each year and top it off with the new batch. Oh, and I was doing an Oud Bruin; the beer was pretty good. One word of warning though, if you use a keg like I did you need to remember to vent the excess pressure every once in a while otherwise......well let's just say I got "Old Faithful" going in my kitchen and I was very glad my wife was not home when I committed that little opps. If you keep the beer in glass you need to be very careful how you stopper it because you will get some O2 leaking in and it has the potential to radically change the flavor of the beer.
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:09 pm

DaveyT wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:04 pm
Sounds like a great idea. I haven't tried it, though.
I'm assuming you've looked at Michael Tonsmiere's website The Mad Fermentationist. I bet he's got goo things to say about it.

David
Yeah I've also got his book coming next week, inspiring stuff!

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:16 pm

Barley Water wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:04 pm
Yeah I had one going for about 4-5 years. I had mine in a corny keg and would pull off 1/2 the keg each year and top it off with the new batch. Oh, and I was doing an Oud Bruin; the beer was pretty good. One word of warning though, if you use a keg like I did you need to remember to vent the excess pressure every once in a while otherwise......well let's just say I got "Old Faithful" going in my kitchen and I was very glad my wife was not home when I committed that little opps. If you keep the beer in glass you need to be very careful how you stopper it because you will get some O2 leaking in and it has the potential to radically change the flavor of the beer.
Oh no!Oud Bruin fountain! So what yeasts did you use to sour/age? i have got my hands on a steel ale cask, i think it will be easy to vent.

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:10 pm

What I did was ferment the wort with a neutral ale yeast then hit it with Rosalare Blend and aged it. If you let any air get at the beer while it is aging you will start to get that "salad dressing" flavor which can be great in moderation but can ruin the beer if it gets to be too much. You should check out the literature regarding all that, very interesting and I bet your beer will thank you for it as well.
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)