SS Brewmaster bucket

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
jamesmb
Sober

Re: SS Brewmaster bucket

Post by jamesmb » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:02 pm

Thanks for the seal link - great idea.

Re the OP
1. The TSP wash is a degrease - I used washing up liquid, hot water, a soft cloth and elbow grease. Worked fine.
2. Re the passivation any acidic solution will work. I used a citric acid solution because I had some kicking around and at least it's food safe. I clean the bucket in the dishwasher and put PBW in the dosing tray - works a treat and makes the inside of the dishwasher nice and shiny too but I reckon it doesn't do wonders for the oxide layer. That said I haven't had any problems.

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Secla » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:59 pm

Carnot wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:35 pm
Here is the ebay link. The company is Duncan Rogers Engineering and they are fast. You need a 3/8 BSP 316 stainless steel Dowty seal. Choose this from the drop down list

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Imperial-Dowt ... rbQKYKodNQ

If you need o ring for the racking tube they are 9mm x 1 mm and I bought silicone rings from ebay.

Once you have sorted the seal I reckon the Brewbucket is just about as good as it gets for the money. Dead simple to clean and it is easily movable, even when full . I stack them two high.
Purchased the 3/8 and received today !
They are a little small and really have to be forced over the thread. So the rubber inner washer splits

Carnot
Piss Artist

Post by Carnot » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:43 am

The size I gave you came off the packet that I bought and I also checked the invoice.The best way to install is not to force the seal over the thread- be gentle. Lightly lubricate the seal, a smear of olive oil will do or silicone if you have it, and gently screw the seal onto the thread. I rotate the valve body rather than the seal.It is designed to be a close fit. I have used these a lot in hydraulic and high pressure applications and they are always a close fit. The seal is not symmetrical. Place the lip side inwards towards the wall, with the nut against the the flat. None of mine have ever failed. Likewise lubricate the o rings on the racking arm before insertion.

Secla

Post by Secla » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:48 am

yup i can screw it on but its still quite tight !
do you just put the regular o-ring on the outside ?

Carnot
Piss Artist

Post by Carnot » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:16 pm

I am not sure it is necessary but I put an o ring on the outside and the dowty seal on the inside. I know it is a little tight but it needs to be a snug fit. Just gently ease it over the threads. If the seal is oversize it might leak via the thread.

Don't forget to clean out the ball valve periodically.

Carnot
Piss Artist

Post by Carnot » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:33 pm

jamesmb wrote

"Re the OP
1. The TSP wash is a degrease - I used washing up liquid, hot water, a soft cloth and elbow grease. Worked fine.
2. Re the passivation any acidic solution will work. I used a citric acid solution because I had some kicking around and at least it's food safe. I clean the bucket in the dishwasher and put PBW in the dosing tray - works a treat and makes the inside of the dishwasher nice and shiny too but I reckon it doesn't do wonders for the oxide layer. That said I haven't had any problems."

You will probably have gotten away with the washing up liquid as a degreaser. My brewbuckets were pretty clean. As for the citric acid this is probably even better than phosphoric. Here is a link to stainless passivation. You might not have done it quite by the book but I doubt if you did any harm. Just remember that your dishwasher probably should not have this done too often.

https://www.mmsonline.com/articles/how- ... teel-parts

MatthewM
Tippler

Post by MatthewM » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:16 am

Has anyone got the FTSS/FTSS2 for theirs please. I’m seriously considering it to make winter fermentation much easier. Downside is it’s not cheap. I’m also trying to find another bucket. Thank you

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:42 pm

MatthewM wrote:Has anyone got the FTSS/FTSS2 for theirs please. I’m seriously considering it to make winter fermentation much easier. Downside is it’s not cheap. I’m also trying to find another bucket. Thank you
Why not use a regular fridge? Plenty of them show up on gumtree.

MatthewM
Tippler

Post by MatthewM » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:49 am

Thanks for this, the headache is space - I’ve got one already for dispensing and don’t have room for more.

simple one
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by simple one » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:16 pm

naturals wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:27 am
guypettigrew wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:41 pm
orlando wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:57 pm
Get hold of some Bar Keeper's Friend make a paste, apply, then buff off with a clean cloth then leave in open air, no lid.
Here's an extract from the cleaning instructions on the SS Brewtech site. It seems Bar Keeper's friend is not entirely a good thing. Apply with caution!

"NEVER USE

Oxalic Acid cleaners such as Bar Keeper’s Friend, Kleen King, or Revere Ware Stainless cleaners on the Etched Markings –
These may cause the etching to fade."

Guy
I used it on mine last week. It worked fine. The etchings did fade ever so slightly, but they had some majorly caked on dirt and required a fair bit of scrubbing. For a quick wipe over to passivate it'll be absolutely fine.

Puts two minutes on the clock.....

Hand goes in to fast forward and edits most of the work out....

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:57 pm

That's the stuff I have. If you reduce alkalinity and clean the kettle properly after each use, straight away, you will rarely need to use it.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer