length of mash?

A forum to discuss anything related to making gluten-free versions of those brews that would otherwise be off limits to coeliacs.
Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

length of mash?

Post by Rookie » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:15 pm

Next month I'm going to experiment with a batch of G F beer. In my web explorations I see recommendations of mashing as long as two hours, and at a higher temperature (162f instead of 152f). How long do you G F brewers usually mash and at what temperature?
I'm just here for the beer.

Touchstone
Steady Drinker

Re: length of mash?

Post by Touchstone » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:15 pm

I always mash overnight , shortens the brew day and no problems

simple one
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by simple one » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:32 pm

Touchstone, do you ever find you get a low fg, thin beer, no head, fizzyness, which are the common concerns?

Cheers

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:38 pm

I recently brewed an imperial pilsner with 20% rice malt. I mashed the pilsner and rice together at 156° F (69° C) for 60 minutes and it worked fine.
I'm just here for the beer.

MyQul

Post by MyQul » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:47 pm

The last two brews I mashed for two hours. The last one I mashed at 64C. I made a cream ale but wanted to get it as close to 1.000 as I could to mimic the crispness of a lager. I used notty and it got down to 1.002 from 1.034, so managed 94% attenuation.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:04 pm

a 60 minute mash with re circulation within a GF @ 66.7C should be sufficient for full conversion, an iodine test can confirm, (if iodine goes black there is still starch there for conversion.)

iirc your recipe suggestion for a higher temp is to promote beta amalayse activity and produce more complex sugars to contribute to a higher FG and more body mouthfeel. the longer time period should then allow the smaller proportion of Alpha amalayse that munch down the complex sugars to fermentables that can act at the higher temp time to produce enough fermentables to make the brew viable ?
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(