Citra Rye IPA

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
shepp

Citra Rye IPA

Post by shepp » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:24 pm

I wondered if anybody could cast their eye over my recipe and let me know what you think.
I just wondered if you think it will be balanced and if you think my hop schedule is good? By the way I do like beer a bit on the hoppy side.
Attachments
Rye IPA.PNG

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Citra Rye IPA

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:56 pm

Your hop profile is fine, though you are a bit light on the dry hop I think.

You are gunning for ~85% attenuation? That seems a bit ambitious IMO. US05 can go that high but 80% is more realistic with that grist.

Lastly you will lose the rye completely in that recipe. You have to use a lot for it to come through in the final recipe and I think it will be beaten out by the other malts. Consider putting in as much rye as your mash can handle, or subbing out the Munich and Vienna for crystal rye and more base malt - just balance them to preserve your final SRM .

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:40 pm

Well I guess if you want an American IPA with bitterness in the 60 IBU range I would jack up the O.G. to somewhere between 1.060-1.070 then try like hell to get it to attenuate. On the other hand, if you want an American Pale ale with an O.G. around 1.053 (which is about average, at least on this side of the pond) then I would drop the bitterness to around the 40 IBU range. With either beer though, you can late hop and dry hop to your heart's content as over here we go for heavy hop flavor and of course you want the beer to stink like a hop farm. I agree with a previous poster, you want quite a bit of rye in the grist or you will not taste it. Also, if you have not used rye before when you add a lot, it also makes a nasty mess so be prepared for that (yeah rice hulls are your friend).
My personal view about American IPA or APA beer is that really heavy beers with lots of crystal malt or base malt that is darker kilned will generally make the beer less drinkable and should be avoided. Remember that American pale ale malt is not as flavorful as that good British stuff and when you start adding Munich and Vienna malt that just serves to accentuate the difference. Both those American styles are essentially hop delivery vehicles and too much malt flavor will get in the way. I have made a rye APA and I bet I had around 20-30% rye in the grist. My experience was that you could taste it and it also seemed to accentuate the dryness of the beer which makes the hops stand out all that much more (both good things in my humble opinion). Anyhow, most of this stuff is just my personal preference so take if with a grain of salt and remember this is homebrewing so you can do whatever floats your boat....carry on and have fun. :D
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

shepp

Post by shepp » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:12 pm

Many thanks for your input TSOAB and Barley Water.
I have made a few changes, I wondered if it's best to use the crystal rye of just add a bit more rye malt instead, or 0.25g crystal rye and 0.25g extra rye malt?
Thanks
Attachments
Citra Rye APA.PNG

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:36 pm

I guess I should first start with a disclaimer so you know where I'm coming from: of course I just love beer but I figure as long as I'm brewing it anyway, I might as well try and compete with it as well. Because of that, I am quite the slave to the style guidelines ('cause if you are gonna bother you might as well at least try to win). Anyhow, that attitude comes into play when I try to tell you that if you want an APA with rye, you really don't want that much crystal in the grist. With that much, I would call the beer an American Amber Ale (not that there is anything wrong with that by the way). An Amber ale will tend to drink a bit bigger just because all that crystal malt will elevate the final gravity and lend a sweet caramel taste as well as darkening the beer. Everything else being equal, an Amber ale will not come off quite as bitter since the sweetness will also tend to mask some of the bitterness and perhaps some of the hop flavor. When I first started in this hobby (over 30 years ago) APA's would have quite a bit of crystal however these days they tend to be lighter and dryer which at least to my taste makes the style a little more of a drinker. Naturally, all this is just my personal preference as the older I get the less I am interested in really sweet beers (the Bock I have on tap right now is almost too much for me). In the final analysis, I say just brew it up and see what you think and some day you will become an opinionated old fart like me. :D
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)