Grains of paradise

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Grains of paradise

Post by sbond10 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:03 pm

A local brewery just recommended these in a stout we where discussing. Anyone else heard of um.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00PS6U ... ref=plSrch

They bring peppery zesty flavours reckon if I throw um in last 15 minutes crush um abit might work

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Grains of paradise

Post by Wonkydonkey » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:49 pm

If they are the pepper that was spoken about at a homebrew club meet. Then yes it can add some spice/pepper to the brew, but from what I recall (after quite a few sips of Belgium brews) you don't need a lot and yeh crushed and in the last 5-10 mins But how much and what type of brew I don't recall.
To Busy To Add,

thepatchworkdoll
Piss Artist

Post by thepatchworkdoll » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:55 pm

They use them in making some Gins but dont know about beer. Cant help you there mate.
regards
Patch

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:55 pm

This would be for a Terry chocolate orange stout....

david1234

Post by david1234 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:49 am

Hi,

I want to ask you that this peppy zesty flavors used in what kind of recipes and in what amount we can use it?

Thanks in advance

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:23 pm

The description makes me think it would go good in a saison.
I'm just here for the beer.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:24 pm

I tasted some the other day with a friend who's adding some to a Belgian. I don't think that's uncommon and I can see why. They tasted lovely and I know they're in some commercial recipes.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:23 am

Rookie wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:23 pm
The description makes me think it would go good in a saison.
I have actually seen some saison recipes using them, I think they may have been on Beersmith 2 perhaps?

I've done one saison so far, and used lightly crushed coriander (8.5g) and black pepper corns (2.5g), and it has come out quite delicious! Read about people overdoing it with them though, and ending up with disasters...

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:01 am

The Brewdog "Magic Stone Dog" saison has them in (DIYDog #156). About 6g in 23L along with about 8g of other spices. Brewed it last year and even had it for Christmas breakfast instead of Champagne. I added them at the end (crushed) so they steeped for about 1/2 - 1 hour. Can't say I could tell it had the spices in. Still got some in bottles!

Yes they are peppery, and "zesty" is reasonable description. They remind me of churches - one of those "old" spicy smells.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

lord.president
Hollow Legs

Post by lord.president » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:45 pm

I’ve used them in a saison I brew every year. Lovely lemony peppery freshness.
Apparently the trendier food places have them in grinders now,instead of pepper.
I don’t think they’d go with a choc orange stout though.
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly