Grainfather increase capacity

A forum to discuss one pot automated brewing systems.
ash_a
Tippler

Grainfather increase capacity

Post by ash_a » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:10 pm

I've done quite a few brews using my grain father and getting good consistency. There are a couple of beers that are getting drunk very quickly and I would like to increase the amount of beer I make.

Would it be an option to double the size of a recipe to get twice the amount of wort, then transfer to a separate vessel for the boil. Then sparge with twice the amount of water and transfer to the vessel with the wort for the boil?

The beer I'm brewing is low ABV and would be under the 9kg grain weight ifn I double the recipe quantities

Thanks,

Ash

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Grainfather increase capacity

Post by aamcle » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:37 pm

Normally a large grain bill will reduce the recovery of sugars probably because there is less water to sparge with but as you need to reduce the starting gravity you could sparge with a bit more, so long as you don't add enough to cause a boil over. Then add more to the FV to get the gravity you want.

aamcle

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:39 pm

You could also brew a strong beer with the full grain bill sparge and boil as usual then liquor back with cold (treated if applicable) in the FV diluting to your desired volume and OG, hop utilisation will take a slight hit due to the more concentrated liquor in the boil perhaps, i would probably add 5-10% to the hop bill if attempting myself and tune up/down with future brews based on results.

Would be less clean up And simplfy and speed up the post boil chill too.

If you struggle to hit the target volume with a sufficient OG a spraymalt or even a sugar addition would be worth considering..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Post by Fastline » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:38 pm

These grain father post make me want to get one, any idea on best deals at the moment

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:53 pm

Maybe wait until the Jan sales.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:55 pm

Fastline wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:38 pm
These grain father post make me want to get one, any idea on best deals at the moment
Not sure on any deals but if you get one you will enjoy it :)

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:30 pm

chefgage wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:55 pm
Fastline wrote:
I don't know about that, brewing is convenient, the device works without fuss or bother allowing me to turn out good consistent wort with relative ease but it's not as much fun as the kit I built myself.

aamcle

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:05 am

aamcle wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:30 pm
chefgage wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:55 pm
Fastline wrote:
I don't know about that, brewing is convenient, the device works without fuss or bother allowing me to turn out good consistent wort with relative ease but it's not as much fun as the kit I built myself.

aamcle
I do agree with you there having built a three vessel system myself. The convenience of the grainfather is a plus for me as it means i brew more now.

As for the OP i suppose as the grainfather is nice and straight forward to use you could always do back to back brews with it.

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:40 am

Fil wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:39 pm
You could also brew a strong beer with the full grain bill sparge and boil as usual then liquor back with cold (treated if applicable) in the FV diluting to your desired volume and OG, hop utilisation will take a slight hit due to the more concentrated liquor in the boil perhaps, i would probably add 5-10% to the hop bill if attempting myself and tune up/down with future brews based on results.

Would be less clean up And simplfy and speed up the post boil chill too.

If you struggle to hit the target volume with a sufficient OG a spraymalt or even a sugar addition would be worth considering..
I did a while ago do a 50 litre brew of G.W's Flowers Bitter with the GF,just doubled up on the fermentables for a 25 litre brew and using the hop utilisation factor v original gravity chart in G.W's brew your own,the figure was used in conjunction with beer engine to work out the hop additions.Then post boil it was liquored back with 25 litres of water and the beer turned out OK.
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill