King Keg

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Dodeth

King Keg

Post by Dodeth » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:50 pm

Hi,

I'm a new member, and new to home brewing, so please bear with me! I transferred my first ever brew to a King Keg barrel (top tap version) two weeks ago and, after having left it at room temperature for secondary fermentation, I've moved it today into a cool place. Unfortunately, no beer is being dispensed from the tap and when I inject CO2 a small amount of liquid is escaping through the lid. Would anyone who has encountered similar problems be kind enough to confirm that I should remove the lid, apply Vaseline to the seal again, and then replace the lid (I'm assuming the 'O' ring is OK as it's a brand new keg ?.

If I then inject CO2 should I be good to go or should I add sugar and return the keg to room temperature for a period of time? Finally, is there a risk that my precious first brew has been ruined?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Phil

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: King Keg

Post by Haydnexport » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:49 pm

I'd go ahead with that, check you haven't over tightened the lid as that can distort the seal. I'd add co2 rather than prime again.

Dodeth

Post by Dodeth » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:31 pm

Thanks. Will give it a go.

Dodeth

Post by Dodeth » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:42 pm

Got the cap off, float was OK. Think I over-tightened the lid. Now flowing. Thanks for responses.

Dodeth

Post by Dodeth » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:18 pm

But it only flowed for a short time. I must be losing the CO2 somewhere but I'm struggling to detect where from. Could I ask, is the beer likely to spoil by being left without pressure in the keg?

johnnyboy1965
Steady Drinker

Post by johnnyboy1965 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:12 pm

The beer should be OK as it has a blanket of CO2 covering it. If you have taken the cap off you will not have any pressure in the keg. The only way to resolve this is to add more priming sugar and go through the secondary ferment stage again. You can add CO2 for dispensing, but you will only be able to pour what the added CO2 displaces

johnnyboy1965
Steady Drinker

Post by johnnyboy1965 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:26 pm

King Keg Top Taps are very good pieces of kit ( I have 4), but there are some design faults.
When tightening the cap/lid, it needs just a pinch, not a wrist breaking turn. Vaseline will not sell the lid, just make it slide onto the seal.
The pipe on the float assembly is too stiff, when cold its even stiffer. This can push the float out of the brew resulting in no beer dispensed. A good aquatic pet shop will sell the same diameter pipe but softer (pennies).
Brew to 25li this will take the beer above where the tap fits the keg. elliminating (sp) one of the only 2 places it can leak from.
Tap tap assembly can be quite stiff and needs lubricating. This acn be a little tricky as it only fits one way:-
Hold the tap in your hand
Open the tap
Remove top cover.
Lubricate the thread with a little and I mean a little Vaseline.
Replace the cover
Close the tap..

Check the pressure release valve is working

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:30 am

King Keg recommended to me by friend who has 2 and used successfully for years.

My (as yet unused) King Keg has a rather uneven top and round section circular seal supplied as standard. I am worried about the posssible losss of a precious batch of beer so will sand flat the top with fine wet and dry paper and have a Balliihoo replacement cap on order with a square section seal. It also has an integral pressure valve so I will be able to see if pressure is maintained.

I appreciate these potential fixes are as yet untried but from many forum posts and real life experiences it seems that the (bottom tap) keg is good, just let down by inconsistent quality control. These modifications have promise.

Will update in a few weeks after "risking" the brew in which is in secondary ferment currently.

Dodeth

Post by Dodeth » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:07 pm

Following on from earlier posts, I can't keep the barrel under pressure. After I apply CO2 I can hear a hissing noise coming from the pressure valve. To be honest I can't work out whether this is likely to be because the barrel is actually under pressure and the pressure valve is doing its job, or that the valve is faulty. Whichever is the case I can only draw beer for a short period after applying CO2. Any advice anyone?

beer baron
Tippler

Post by beer baron » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:03 pm

spray it with some water and washing up liquid when you have pressured it with CO2 and watch for bubbles it may be the pressure relief valve if it has one or the injection valve for CO2 and not the lid

MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by MarkA » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:13 pm

There's a small rubber band on the underside of the pressure valve (that wraps rounds the cylinder on the inside of the lid). This covers the release hole and allows pressure to escape if it gets too much. Check that this is located properly (over the hole) as it will allow all pressure to escape if it's not.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:41 am

You can drill the cap and put a car tyre valve in it, it's then just a case of using a pressure gauge to monitor what's going on. After you have fixed the leak of course.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Dodeth

Post by Dodeth » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:56 pm

Again, thanks for your replies. Much appreciated.

ianh82

Post by ianh82 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:44 pm

i found the same issue with my top tap. what i did is only open the tap so a small trickle comes out then it stays gassed inside for longer. my last brew, it was weeks before i needed to co2 it again.