VWP instead of oxyclean

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
chefgage
Hollow Legs

VWP instead of oxyclean

Post by chefgage » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:16 pm

I have used oxyclean before on my plastic fermenters but i used it once to clean my grainfather which is of course stainless. Well that made the nice and shiney into nice and dull with a stuck on white resisdue. I have since learnt this is due to our hard water so oxyclean is a definate no no with regards cleaning stainless.

So does VWP have the same effect?? Just looking at alternatives for cleaning my stainless conical fermenter.

ben034
Steady Drinker

Re: VWP instead of oxyclean

Post by ben034 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:49 am

I believe VWP is chlorine based and should not be used on stainless steel. I've heard PBW is effective in hard water as it I similar to oxyclean but doesn't leave marks. It is expensive though.

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:59 am

ben034 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:49 am
I believe VWP is chlorine based and should not be used on stainless steel. I've heard PBW is effective in hard water as it I similar to oxyclean but doesn't leave marks. It is expensive though.
Thanks for the info. To be honest i just give my stainless conical a good scrub with it half full of hot water with washing up liquid. Thing is it always still smells of beer (not a bad smell of course :) ).

I am just wondering exactly how clean i am getting it. I have been using the grain father cleaner on my grainfather after giving it a clean with again hot soapy water.

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:07 am

ben034 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:49 am
Just had a look and the pbw at its minimum dosage of 7g per liter means i would need about 210g to clean my fermenter. The smaller pots of pbw are about £11 for 450g so thats about £5.50 a go for my fermenter. Your right its not cheap :)

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:54 am

I used to use Oxiclean, but like you it has caused major irritation to my skin. I also don't like the fact that I have to clean most stuff in the bath tub and am worried about the little ones skin as well. I decided about a year ago to go back to using hot/warm soapy water (like you), I have not had a single problem. Head retention on beer has been the same as ever. I just make sure it is rinsed thoroughly after use.

For cleaning my grainfather I use cheap, unscented dishwashing tablets. I saw someone else mention it on here. Again, not had a single problem using this method.

Hope this helps.

sonicated
Hollow Legs

Post by sonicated » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:04 am

chefgage wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:16 pm
so oxyclean is a definate no no with regards cleaning stainless.
At £5.50 a go PBW is a definite no no too!

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:18 am

sonicated wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:04 am
chefgage wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:16 pm
so oxyclean is a definate no no with regards cleaning stainless.
At £5.50 a go PBW is a definite no no too!
I highly agree :) I think i will continue with my usual cleaning routine :)

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:20 am

Manngold wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:54 am
I used to use Oxiclean, but like you it has caused major irritation to my skin. I also don't like the fact that I have to clean most stuff in the bath tub and am worried about the little ones skin as well. I decided about a year ago to go back to using hot/warm soapy water (like you), I have not had a single problem. Head retention on beer has been the same as ever. I just make sure it is rinsed thoroughly after use.

For cleaning my grainfather I use cheap, unscented dishwashing tablets. I saw someone else mention it on here. Again, not had a single problem using this method.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply. The oxyclean doesnt bother my skin, its the fact that with the hard water i have the oxyclean leaves a white residue that does not come off.

sonicated
Hollow Legs

Post by sonicated » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:44 am

Manngold wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:54 am
I also don't like the fact that I have to clean most stuff in the bath tub and am worried about the little ones skin as well.
I think your prudence should be commended but I really wouldn't worry when it comes to the children. Oxyclean is a stain remover for clothes and although I am not an expert I am quite sure rinsing oxyclean out of a bath is a lot easier and more effective than rinsing it out of clothes clothes which will be in contact with them all day and night.

That said, obviously if they have any problems with their skin ignore the above!!

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:53 pm

@chefgage, my bad. Thought you had somewhere mentioned skin. Must have been something else I read somewhere.

@sonicated, I am sure I am being paranoid. But I would rather not have to worry about it I guess , so it is easier for me to just use something else. I am sure you are right aswell. But soapy water seems to work well for me at the moment.

Nunez100
Tippler

Post by Nunez100 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:22 pm

Did you leave the oxyclean in the tank for any more than 20 minutes? As far as I understand it, on release of the active oxygen Sodium Percarbonate (the active ingredient in oxyclean) is converted to Sodium Carbonate. If you leave Sodium Percarbonate for any more than about 20 minutes, and if you have hard water with a lot of Calcium, it can make CaCO3 (Chalk), which is deposited as a white scale. If you have a scale developing, it may be that your contact time is too long (or you dose is too high).

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:57 pm

Nunez100 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:22 pm
Did you leave the oxyclean in the tank for any more than 20 minutes? As far as I understand it, on release of the active oxygen Sodium Percarbonate (the active ingredient in oxyclean) is converted to Sodium Carbonate. If you leave Sodium Percarbonate for any more than about 20 minutes, and if you have hard water with a lot of Calcium, it can make CaCO3 (Chalk), which is deposited as a white scale. If you have a scale developing, it may be that your contact time is too long (or you dose is too high).
Yes i must admit i did leave it awaile. Probably about 45 mins. I have tried it on 500ml glass bottles by leaving it only 5 mins and it still leaves the residue. I agree that i am probably over dosing it but if you go by the instructions i would be using alot more???

I have stopped using it now.

Nunez100
Tippler

Post by Nunez100 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:03 pm

No prob. I also think that it works best hot. If you let it go cold it precipitates the scale out quicker. If you start it cold, some may not even be dissolved at all. Glad you found something better though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:03 pm

Just had a look and the pbw at its minimum dosage of 7g per liter means i would need about 210g to clean my fermenter. The smaller pots of pbw are about £11 for 450g so thats about £5.50 a go for my fermenter. Your right its not cheap :)
I just bought some from the malt miller at £26 for 1.8kg which is better value but I do plan to use it more for my deep cleans.

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:25 pm

I’m using hot caustic for cleaning, rinse then PAA. They’re pretty nasty chemicals, but you will have your kit clean as it can get.