Can I change a chest freezer into a brewing fridge?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
ben9393

Can I change a chest freezer into a brewing fridge?

Post by ben9393 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:37 pm

I was wondering if you can change the thermostat in a chest freezer so it can be set to 22c so I can brew all summer?

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Re: Can I change a chest freezer into a brewing fridge?

Post by Dave S » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:41 pm

ben9393 wrote:I was wondering if you can change the thermostat in a chest freezer so it can be set to 22c so I can brew all summer?
You don't change the thermostat, you get a temperature controller such as a STC1000 and put a heater such as a 60W tube into the freezer. The controller switches between heater and freezer around its set temperature
Best wishes

Dave

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:51 pm

Dave S wrote:
ben9393 wrote:I was wondering if you can change the thermostat in a chest freezer so it can be set to 22c so I can brew all summer?
You don't change the thermostat, you get a temperature controller such as a STC1000 and put a heater such as a 60W tube into the freezer. The controller switches between heater and freezer around its set temperature

I done this with great effect, chest freezers keep the heat in if you can make sure you get the wiring of the heater/temp probe in without affecting the insulation. Drilling the side of them is not advised as the cooling pipes are in the sides, can you test where they are with some water and then cool but always a risk.

I used mine as a 2nd brew/lagering fridge before moving to Corny kegs, its now a Keezer with a DIY wooden collar which although looks patch does the job and allows me to store 4 x 19L kegs and up to 2 x 9L kegs at any time. Very versatile things and the STC you can pick up cheap. If you are like me and not into wiring things up since I bough my 2 STC1000's wired you can now get 'Inkbird' pre wired controllers which look good and very reasonably priced on amazon.

ben9393

Post by ben9393 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:17 pm

Is there a decent guide anywhere it was between doing this and making a shed with an a/c system but cost wise that's not sensible. I though you'd be able to change the controller to one you can set to 22 without a heater.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:50 pm

ben9393 wrote:Is there a decent guide anywhere it was between doing this and making a shed with an a/c system but cost wise that's not sensible. I though you'd be able to change the controller to one you can set to 22 without a heater.
There are all sorts of guides to adding collars or building temperature control units like the STC. As the freezer is insulated it won't bring much outside heat in and likewise will hold heat well. You need a heating source to maintain the heat and also cool down if it overshoots. The controllers are really simple to use, you plug the heather to the heat source and the freezer to the cooling source, choose your temperature and it heats/cools as required based on the probe reading (usually taped to the FV with some insulation).

I have a larder fridge as my main fermentation chamber and the Keezer for storing my kegs, works a treat.

Kyle_T
Mild King

Post by Kyle_T » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:11 pm

Turn it into a bar, much better!
My Ridleys' Brewery Blog:
http://www.theessexbrewer.wordpress.com

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:30 pm

Rhodesy wrote:
ben9393 wrote:Is there a decent guide anywhere it was between doing this and making a shed with an a/c system but cost wise that's not sensible. I though you'd be able to change the controller to one you can set to 22 without a heater.
There are all sorts of guides to adding collars or building temperature control units like the STC. As the freezer is insulated it won't bring much outside heat in and likewise will hold heat well. You need a heating source to maintain the heat and also cool down if it overshoots. The controllers are really simple to use, you plug the heather to the heat source and the freezer to the cooling source, choose your temperature and it heats/cools as required based on the probe reading (usually taped to the FV with some insulation).

I have a larder fridge as my main fermentation chamber and the Keezer for storing my kegs, works a treat.
Also you don't always want it at the same temperature. It is usual to crash cool once fermentation has finished to drop the remaining yeast and other things out of suspension. The temperature control route allows great flexibility.
Best wishes

Dave

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:59 pm

I replaced the thermostat in my freezer which I mainly use for corny dispensing.
This is the basic circuit.

This is the result with individual switches for heating and cooling

I wouldn't consider building a standalone controller now though with the Inkbird controller available.

Haydnexport

Post by Haydnexport » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:00 pm

could i do that with my kegerator anthony? i think the thermostat is broke anyway as it only goes down to 6c

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:20 pm

Haydnexport wrote:could i do that with my kegerator anthony? i think the thermostat is broke anyway as it only goes down to 6c
I think most are of a similar design. You are basically using the temp controller to switch the compressor relay directly.

marinali29

Post by marinali29 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:48 am

Hi all, I found there're another 2 giveaways from inkbird just now. This time,they offer ITC-308S+ 12" long sensor.

See the thread here.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showt ... hp?t=60563

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:55 pm

I wouldn't, as you have heard most think freezers make better keezers and convert fridges to fermentation chambers. You maybe a big strong lad for all I know so hauling 25 litres or more into one might be a breeze, but there will be a point in doing so when one slip, hopefully not a disc, and there is a lot of hard work clearing up after a lot of hard work to make the beer. :D
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer