New team running UK National Homebrew Competition

Introduce yourself to your fellow brewers here.
UKNHBC
Sober

New team running UK National Homebrew Competition

Post by UKNHBC » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:07 pm

Hi All,

Made this account to promote the UK National Homebrew Competition (thanks Jim) as there is a new team running it. The previous organiser has emigrated and a group of Bristol folks have taken it on. The competition is on 16th Feb at New Bristol Brewery this year after a fallow 2018, which we needed to get our shiz together. If you've managed to get an entry in, congrats! Entry slots maxed out in less than a day and we have 401 confirmed and paid entries for this year.

Why are you telling us this after the fact I (probably don't) hear you cry? Well in truth, we're just finding our feet and have not promoted the comp that heavily thus far and didn't want to bite off more than we could chew...

What we are clear on though, is that we want the comp to be more inclusive than it perhaps has been in previous years, and to give the homebrew community a stake in how it grows/develops (only if you want to mind). There's no reason the comp can't grow/evolve in years to come, therefore we welcome new faces and ideas and any offers of assistance. In particular we would like to hear more from homebrew clubs around the country and see if we can resurrect some interest in the interclub competition that we ran for a couple of years (we can't let those London boys keep scooping up all the prizes, can we?!).

Anyway, enough waffle. You can find us on facebook @nationalhomebrewcompetition twitter @UKNHC or if you fancy signing up as a judge or steward at the website www.nationalhomebrewcompetition.org.uk

Cheers
End.

richard080561
Steady Drinker

Re: New team running UK National Homebrew Competition

Post by richard080561 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:18 pm

I was too late to enter anything but have registered and ticked the boxes for "Volunteer" and "Steward". Does anyone know what the difference is?
Richard M
Cardiff

UKNHBC
Sober

Post by UKNHBC » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:31 am

Hi Richard, thanks for registering. There's no real difference between volunteer and steward on the day. You get assigned a table of judges and it's your job to fetch and open the numbered entry bottles they ask for from their list, then dispose of what's left when they're done with it.

You get to sample pretty much whatever is being judged and will get an insight into the judging process and criteria, plus tips on where the judge thinks the brewer has gone right or wrong.

We do need volunteers in the week before the comp to help with unpacking and sorting entries and will be mostly reliant on local people for that, but Cardiff isn't too far, and if you fancy getting involved a bit more, then email one of us (details on website).

Cheers and look forward to seeing you on the day!

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:42 pm

Shame the location isn’t a little more central.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
To monitor my latest fermentation 27/10 click here
To view my new AG build click here
Keg 1: Berliner Weisse
Keg 2: APA
Keg 3: Stout (Nitro)
Keg 4: Empty

johnnyboy1965
Steady Drinker

Post by johnnyboy1965 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:20 pm

I will register for a volunteer/steward. I have loads of experience in judging cookery competitions, just not BJCP standards of brewing, so I know the logistics of running such a competition.
Just read through the rules. It states ....."engraved or embossed bottles will be accepted, but should be avoided".
JMHO...I dont agree with this. Im more interested in whats inside the bottle, not the bottle itself. Recycling bottles should be encouraged, as long as the bottle is clean, clearly labelled and well presented, thats all that matters to me.
Regards John

orlando
It's definitely Lock In Time
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:06 pm

johnnyboy1965 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:20 pm
I will register for a volunteer/steward. I have loads of experience in judging cookery competitions, just not BJCP standards of brewing, so I know the logistics of running such a competition.
Just read through the rules. It states ....."engraved or embossed bottles will be accepted, but should be avoided".
JMHO...I dont agree with this. Im more interested in whats inside the bottle, not the bottle itself. Recycling bottles should be encouraged, as long as the bottle is clean, clearly labelled and well presented, thats all that matters to me.
Regards John
I think it is to avoid any possibility of identifying the brewer. Unlikely admittedly, hence the blurred line.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting: Champagne Supernova (Brut IPA)
Conditioning: From Russia With Love (RIS)
Drinking: Drowning in Dusseldorf (Alt Bier), Black Night, Near Mild Heaven
Up Next:
Planning: Winter drinking beer.

john luc
Hollow Legs

Post by john luc » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:25 pm

congratulations on getting up and running. We over here in Ireland are now into our annual National competition since 2010. One piece of advice is to encourage your judges to give good feedback and clear writing :roll: .
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:18 pm

UKNHBC wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:31 am
it's your job to fetch and open the numbered entry bottles they ask for from their list, then dispose of what's left when they're done with it.
You get to sample pretty much whatever is being judged
UK,
That sound`s like my kind of `JOB` :D :D =D> =D>

WA

See you soon! :D

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:59 pm

Good work guys. I'm registered to judge but need to book my travel.

It would be a good idea to get some info out to the registered volunteers as to what the plans are for the day.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.