Hello

Introduce yourself to your fellow brewers here.
dawsons25
Sober

Hello

Post by dawsons25 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:28 pm

Hi everyone I've just started out with my first batch of homebrew a wilkos ale. I've got it in the pressure barrel and waiting 2 weeks for it to clear. I've got a angram beer engine bolted to the bar in my garage, I was wanting some info on what other kit I need to get the hand pump up and running from my pressure barrel. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Hello

Post by Jim » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:47 pm

Welcome to the forum. :)

Re your beer engine/pressure barrel combo, you'll need either to vent the barrel before serving or use a demand valve between the barrel and the beer engine. Try searching the forum, because this has been discussed many times before.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Philip K. Dick

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

dawsons25
Sober

Post by dawsons25 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:50 pm

Thanks for the reply I will have a look😁

dawsons25
Sober

Post by dawsons25 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:30 am

Hi jim
I've purchased my demand valve and set it up ready to go, just a quick one do I need to use the co2 injection in the pressure barrel cap to replace the air removed and how often? How long will my ale last using the beer engine? Much appreciate the help thanks

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:44 pm

dawsons25 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:30 am
Hi jim
I've purchased my demand valve and set it up ready to go, just a quick one do I need to use the co2 injection in the pressure barrel cap to replace the air removed and how often? How long will my ale last using the beer engine? Much appreciate the help thanks
1. Yes, you will need to top up the pressure in the barrel, but how often depends on how much beer you dispense and how fast. If you can somehow attach a pressure gauge, that would help; I would try to keep the barrel pressure around 5 or 6psi assuming the beer is at cellar temperature (12-14C). If you don't have a gauge, you need to judge from the condition of the beer coming out.

2. Using a demand valve I've found it will keep as long as it would if you dispensed it from the barrel tap (i.e. several months), though of course it will deteriorate gradually all the while. Don't forget to keep the beer engine clean though, or it will taint the beer as it comes out.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Philip K. Dick

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

dawsons25
Sober

Post by dawsons25 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:28 pm

Hi jim thanks for the reply I have my set up in the garage so it will be a bit warmer than cellar temperature. My cap on the barrel only has a nozzle for a co2 bulb but I'm not sure if you can adapt it for a pressure gauge?
I was thinking of adding a polypin via a y piece to allow me to flush out the beer engine after use with hot water?