NEWBIE - QUERY

Introduce yourself to your fellow brewers here.
kld221
Sober

NEWBIE - QUERY

Post by kld221 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:47 pm

Hi there, I am in the sad process of emptying my elderly dad's house due to him now being in a nursing home. He used to make homemade wine many years ago. There's quite a few bottles and I have to admit it brings back many lovely memories of family barbeques. He always made his wine from raw ingredients ie marrow, banana, peach etc. There's also a couple of bottles of sake! Eeek! I know for a fact these wines are 20+ years old. He was particularly meticulous in his wine making process. I have washed the dust off the bottles but there is a considerable amount of sediment in the bottom of the bottles. I really don't want to throw these wines away as I know the hard work and love that was put into making them. Could anyone advise if they would be safe to be consumed? Thanks in advance. Katrine :-) Apologies if I have submitted this in the wrong section.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: NEWBIE - QUERY

Post by Jocky » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:54 pm

You can’t be certain of anything, so without knowing what was brewed and how I wouldn’t want to say there’s no chance of anything going wrong...

... but being alcoholic they’re probably fine. Age may have taken its toll on the quality, but given the chance I’d probably take them to my homebrew club to share :mrgreen:
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:17 am

Tricky one. I agree with Jocky that you should be very cautious as home made wine won't necessarily keep well (in the way that high-end commercial wines can). The higher the alcohol content, the more likely they are to have survived though - did he write that on the bottle by any chance?

Whatever the case, you'll need to carefully decant the wine off the sediment in the bottles before trying them.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Philip K. Dick

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Cobnut
Piss Artist

Post by Cobnut » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:15 am

We had a member of our local HBC bring along a bottle of wine he'd found under a floorboard when renovating a house. It was around 30 years old and utterly delicious! Can't remember what it was made from (might've been parsnip? @nickjdavis might remember).

So I wholeheartedly recommend not throwing them away! And definitely worth trying.
Fermenting: Munich Helles
Conditioning:
Drinking: Haflinger (rather odd weizenbock), Farage (Lacons Patriot Clone), Mocha Stout, Single (allotment grown) hopped ale, 'Ol 'Enry Brut IPA, Cherry Chocolate Dubbel Trubbel, A Galaxy Far, Far Away Black IPA (or maybe it's an American Stout?)
Planning: Keyworth mid-season SMaSH, etc. etc. etc.