Help Please

Introduce yourself to your fellow brewers here.
jonathansking
Sober

Help Please

Post by jonathansking » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:32 pm

HI All
New to all of this and wondered if someone could give me some reassurance with a fermentation problem I think I have had.

I have used a kit with a malt extract of well know Ale and need to add sugar. Followed instructions to the letter and kept in warm room. On instructions it said fermentation takes 4-5 days, but it frothed up within 12 hours and died down almost within a few hours and yeast now sunk to the bottom. Is that it or do you think I should leave it longer it is now day 3

Kind Regards
Jonathan

guypettigrew
Under the Table

Re: Help Please

Post by guypettigrew » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:34 pm

Depends on the temperature of the room. It's quite likely the main fermentation is all over now it's day 3.

Will you be bottling or kegging the beer?

Guy

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:44 pm

Welcome to JBK Jonathan. :)

As Guy says, it could well be finished if the room was warm enough. To be safe, if you're bottling you should really use a hydrometer. If you're using a keg with a pressure relief valve, just have a taste and make sure it doesn't taste too sweet.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Philip K. Dick

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

jonathansking
Sober

Post by jonathansking » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:07 pm

Many thanks I will use hydrometer and symphony into pressure vesse

jonathansking
Sober

Post by jonathansking » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:18 pm

Just checked and using the calculation ABV at 3.9 so spot on for Woodford Wherry-will syphon to pressure vessel for final conditioning
Many thanks