LALLEMAND London ESB Yeast

Introduce yourself to your fellow brewers here.
SirT
Sober

LALLEMAND London ESB Yeast

Post by SirT » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:29 pm

Hi,
I been doing full mash for about 7 years now and used this yeast for the first time in a Maltmiller clone recipe for Fullers ESB.It fermented in an incredibly fast 48 hours (normally I use US 05 which ferments in 5-8 days). Then, despite using a protofloc tablet 15 mins before end of boil, it did not clear and I am left with a murky brew, although it tastes good. I'm not sure this yeast is the cause but anybody else had this experince ?
Cheers

Top Cat
Steady Drinker

Re: LALLEMAND London ESB Yeast

Post by Top Cat » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:29 pm

SirT wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:29 pm
Hi,
I been doing full mash for about 7 years now and used this yeast for the first time in a Maltmiller clone recipe for Fullers ESB.It fermented in an incredibly fast 48 hours (normally I use US 05 which ferments in 5-8 days). Then, despite using a protofloc tablet 15 mins before end of boil, it did not clear and I am left with a murky brew, although it tastes good. I'm not sure this yeast is the cause but anybody else had this experince ?
Cheers
I’ve brewed this recipe a few times now, with liquid yeast, S04, US05, and to get a little more authentic (so I thought!) lallemand London ESB. I’ve always had very clear beer using fermentis yeast but I had the same problem as you with the London ESB. Even after profloc and crash cooling after it being in the fermentation bin for two weeks, it didn’t clear very well at all.
When racking and fining into a cornie, I bottled a couple of pints with no finings.
The results were the bottles took about a week to clear instead of a few days and the keg, drawn from the bottom took almost four weeks instead of around a week.
The resulting beer after clearing was okay though, so I think you’ve just got to be patient!!

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:48 pm

This yeast is notably low floccing. I had to bring out all the tricks to get it to clear on a pale bitter that I made.

The results were worth it though.

Also this strain is not a dried version of the fullers strain.

SirT
Sober

Post by SirT » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:49 pm

Thanks for the feedback Top Cat. I think I'll go with US 05 for my next try.
Cheers,
Sir T

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Northern Brewer » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:56 pm

I've not used LalBrew® London English-Style Ale Yeast (as it is now called, it's dropped the ESB in its name and has nothing to do with the Fuller's yeast) but I have used its close relative Windsor, which is a classic example of a yeast that drops pretty well but does not flocculate ("stick") well, so it's very powdery and will "puff up" at the slightest disturbance. So you can pour clear beer if you are careful with the dispense, but it's easy to pick up some yeast if you don't. I'm sure I've posted a pic of my Windsor beer over on HBT some time, but can't find it now.

Fuller's have posted pictures of their brewbooks over the years and this recipe for ESB is based on those original recipes and claims to be pretty close.

It's not that difficult to harvest Fuller's actual yeast from bottles of 1845 or Bengal Lancer (or a cask if you have a Fuller's pub handy), supposedly Imperial Pub A09 is a pretty close match, that unlike WLP002 and 1968 has the typical oranginess of the real Fuller's yeast.

leedsbrew
Steady Drinker

Post by leedsbrew » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:58 pm

Time, or gelatine should help. I had an ESB that was pea soup until the last few pints of the keg. Bottle dropped bright straight away. Floating dip tube might also help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McMullan
Under the Table

Post by McMullan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:09 pm

The claimed 'diversification' of dry yeast offerings doesn't seem to be without issue. Not many strains withstand corporate-scale drying procedures, according to my microscope. Do you think they rushed it out to make money, rather than because it was a functional home-brew addition?

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Northern Brewer » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:21 pm

McMullan wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:09 pm
Do you think they rushed it out to make money
Perish the thought that a commercial organisation is trying to make money to pay people's salaries.

Personally I just don't see the point of Lallemand London - it's almost as bland as Notty, without the convenience of Notty's flocculation or the character of Windsor. I could sort of get it if it was a case like Munich/Munich Classic, where they introduced the blander one first and then released a better strain, but couldn't pull the original because some people were committed to it, but Windsor predates London by ages.

I almost wonder if London went into production for other reasons, like baking, and then they thought they might as well sell it as a beer yeast.