Coopers stout

Introduce yourself to your fellow brewers here.
Lawlor82
Sober

Coopers stout

Post by Lawlor82 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:43 pm

Hi everyone I am just new to this forum In fact any forum . I have ordered coopers stout kit and a starter pack for brewing it . I have a bar in my house but unfortunately kegs are no longer available because of covid . Has anyone ever put coopers into a shanky keg and hooked it up to a cooler and 75/25 mix gas and Guinness tap ? Will it work or even be nice fist time brewer so just hoping it will , thanks

f00b4r
Site Admin

Re: Coopers stout

Post by f00b4r » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:58 pm

You can do that but be extremely careful with the keg as that spear is under pressure, ensure it is completely depressurised before removing it.
It might also have a safety device on the spear, which either prevents removal or makes it a little trickier.
You might also find your local breweries would be happy to supply you with full kegs (probably with a hefty deposit refundable when you return the keg).

Lawlor82
Sober

Post by Lawlor82 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:10 am

Thanks for your reply I am also interested in trying it myself as making my own if it’s nice will save me a lot of money in the long run plus gives me a Intrest

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:38 am

Welcome to JBK. :)

Brewing your own is definitely the most satisfying - but then I'm biased.
"People often claim to hunger for truth, but seldom like the taste when it's served up." GEORGE R. R. MARTIN

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Lawlor82
Sober

Post by Lawlor82 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:06 am

Hi so I have decided to buy a corni keg and fittings to convert my system to suit the corni keg , a local supplier will sell me a second hand keg and fittings for €90 no sure if that a good price !but I guess it’s a safer and easier system to use and clean ect ! As I am going to use my 70/30 gas mix I have for my Guinness I don’t want to buy a co2 tank and reg so if when my brew is ready after it first stage should I leave it for 4 weeks in a plastic keg I am getting with my brew kit to age or can i syphon it into the conie keg to age or would it go off if I don’t use co2 to get the oxygen out of the conie keg ? I was thinking if I filled it to the max and just purged it with the pressure valve would that work ? Sorry if these are stupid questions first time brewing and hoping it goes well so I can get into it thanks in advance Graham