Hi! What's next?

Introduce yourself to your fellow brewers here.
Captaincooldude
Sober

Hi! What's next?

Post by Captaincooldude » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:14 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been loving homebrewing with kits that come with cans of extract. I now want to step up! What would everyone suggest is the next stage?

I'd quite like to plant some hops in the garden I know they take two years to mature but you can get a small havest off them in the first years growth I've been told, so would like to do a full grain brew in the next few months!

Should I try brew in the bag next?

Thanks guys!

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Hi! What's next?

Post by Jim » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:25 pm

Firstly, welcome to the forum! :)

The usual progression is: kits, extract, all grain, but many people skip the extract step.

Brew in the bag is just a one way of doing all grain, and you can do essentially the same thing with a one pot brewing system such as the Braumeister. Alternatively you can build your own traditional multi-pot system. It really all depends on how much you want to spend and how much you get out of making the equipment yourself.
"People often claim to hunger for truth, but seldom like the taste when it's served up." GEORGE R. R. MARTIN

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Captaincooldude
Sober

Post by Captaincooldude » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:06 pm

Great thanks Jim, I'll reseach the cost of everything I think I'll skip straight to all grain!

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:36 pm

Welcome!
A good option, in non COVID times, is to join another local homebrewer on their brew day. Hopefully that option isn’t too long off, it’s a good way to get an idea of whether you want to invest in all grain.

MarkA
Hollow Legs

Post by MarkA » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:48 pm

Welcome to Jim's! I'm with Jim, I went straight for all grain and don't regret it. There's plenty of info and help available on here to get you through your first few brews, and after that you can start learning by your own mistakes.

MashBag
Piss Artist

Post by MashBag » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:16 am

Captaincooldude wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:14 pm
Hi everyone,

I've been loving homebrewing with kits that come with cans of extract. I now want to step up! What would everyone suggest is the next stage?

I'd quite like to plant some hops in the garden I know they take two years to mature but you can get a small havest off them in the first years growth I've been told, so would like to do a full grain brew in the next few months!

Should I try brew in the bag next?

Thanks guys!
Buy some buckets & a mash bag and have a go.
Once that's fermenting you will start googling things like 'Klarstien' , 'Brewmonk' or 'grainfather' even 'Braumeister' & 'Camurri' or 'Brewtool'