Rauchbier...

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
Brewedout
Piss Artist

Rauchbier...

Post by Brewedout » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:33 pm

So using the golden oldie European beers book by protz and wheeler to make a rauchbier tomorrow. The question is to follow the recipe and use chocolate malt or switch out for carafa II.

What do you think?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

f00b4r
Site Admin

Re: Rauchbier...

Post by f00b4r » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:57 pm

Barneey from here has been brewing a few rauchbiers recently and has been getting very close to the Bamberg beers, hopefully he will see this and comment.
There are a few tricks he has learnt, e.g. lagering and understanding when it peaks make a big difference.

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Post by Brewedout » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:27 pm

f00b4r wrote:Barneey from here has been brewing a few rauchbiers recently and has been getting very close to the Bamberg beers, hopefully he will see this and comment.
There are a few tricks he has learnt, e.g. lagering and understanding when it peaks make a big difference.
Thanks for the directions, hopefully your right Image

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:05 pm

Brewedout wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:33 pm
So using the golden oldie European beers book by protz and wheeler to make a rauchbier tomorrow. The question is to follow the recipe and use chocolate malt or switch out for carafa II.

What do you think?

That would depend on which one you like better, or have on hand.
I'm just here for the beer.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:42 pm

If you want to make a sorta rauchbier with a swerve you could try oak smoked wheat malt.

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Post by Brewedout » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:13 am

Rookie wrote:If you want to make a sorta rauchbier with a swerve you could try oak smoked wheat malt.
It's a good shout, A few years back I made a Polish oak smoked beer called Grodziskie. It was a good refreshing pint in the summer sunshine! On this brew I went with the carafa to see how it turned out. Had a cheeky pint a few weeks back, which was nice. But I'm going to lager it a month or two longer and see how it progresses.

Cobnut
Piss Artist

Post by Cobnut » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:44 pm

What hops did you use in your Piwo Grödziske? I’ve a hankering to brew one, but the Polish hop varieties are tough to source. I found a polish HB supply company (their prices looked pretty good from a uk perspective!), but they wouldn’t deliver to uk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fermenting: DogBolter clone, Dry Hopped Lager (Pilsner)
Conditioning: Belgian Blond, London Porter
Drinking: SMASH Keeping Ale (Chevallier, First Gold, Voss Kveik), 'Ol 'Enry Brut IPA, Cherry Chocolate Dubbel Trubbel, Quickie Voss Kveik IPA, Make American Stout Great Again, Dunkelweizen, Sussex Bitter, Schonramer Helles clone
Planning: Single hop pale ale, 1750 Porter

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:02 pm

Brewedout wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:13 am
Rookie wrote:If you want to make a sorta rauchbier with a swerve you could try oak smoked wheat malt.
It's a good shout, A few years back I made a Polish oak smoked beer called Grodziskie. It was a good refreshing pint in the summer sunshine! On this brew I went with the carafa to see how it turned out. Had a cheeky pint a few weeks back, which was nice. But I'm going to lager it a month or two longer and see how it progresses.

A few months ago I brewed a sorta grodziskie with one pound of oak smoked wheat malt in a 2.2 gallon wheat extract batch. It had a mild smoke aspect that was good. Once I get to a living situation that allows me to go back to all-grain I plan to brew a proper one.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:03 pm

Cobnut wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:44 pm
What hops did you use in your Piwo Grödziske? I’ve a hankering to brew one, but the Polish hop varieties are tough to source. I found a polish HB supply company (their prices looked pretty good from a uk perspective!), but they wouldn’t deliver to uk Image

I used saaz, but any noble type hop would work.

Cobnut
Piss Artist

Post by Cobnut » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:23 pm

Fermenting: DogBolter clone, Dry Hopped Lager (Pilsner)
Conditioning: Belgian Blond, London Porter
Drinking: SMASH Keeping Ale (Chevallier, First Gold, Voss Kveik), 'Ol 'Enry Brut IPA, Cherry Chocolate Dubbel Trubbel, Quickie Voss Kveik IPA, Make American Stout Great Again, Dunkelweizen, Sussex Bitter, Schonramer Helles clone
Planning: Single hop pale ale, 1750 Porter

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Post by Brewedout » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:30 pm

Cobnut wrote:What hops did you use in your Piwo Grödziske? I’ve a hankering to brew one, but the Polish hop varieties are tough to source. I found a polish HB supply company (their prices looked pretty good from a uk perspective!), but they wouldn’t deliver to uk Image

As I remember it was Saaz, but it could have been hallertauer. I'll check the notes when I get the log book open next. I struggled to find anywhere that stocked the Polish hops too.

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Post by Brewedout » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:33 pm

Rookie wrote:
Brewedout wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:13 am

A few months ago I brewed a sorta grodziskie with one pound of oak smoked wheat malt in a 2.2 gallon wheat extract batch. It had a mild smoke aspect that was good. Once I get to a living situation that allows me to go back to all-grain I plan to brew a proper one.
You can't beat a smoked beer, well not unless it's followed by a good peaty whisky Image