Mild Ale Malt

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Mild Ale Malt

Post by john luc » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:43 pm

I have 5 kg of this malt and was thinking of using it as a base for a brown ale. Has anyone got much experience with this malt and if so what would you suggest I blend with it. I have an array of malts such as carafa 1,2 and 3, Amber, Brown, Black and pale malts in stock. Some Dark Rye malts as well. [-o<
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Mild Ale Malt

Post by Dennis King » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:54 pm

I use it whenever I brew a mild, will be fine for a brown ale.

Kyle_T
Mild King

Post by Kyle_T » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:04 pm

It suits any dark beer. Ive used a fair amount over the last couple of years...somwhere in the region of 40kg probably.
My Ridleys' Brewery Blog:
http://www.theessexbrewer.wordpress.com

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:32 am

Kyle_T wrote:It suits any dark beer. Ive used a fair amount over the last couple of years...somwhere in the region of 40kg probably.
Completely agree, I have used it in dark beers to help smooth out some of the sharper edges that a lot of highly roasted grains can bring. Allows you to use a lot more black malt than would otherwise be wise. :wink:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by john luc » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:32 pm

The reason I ask is I noticed the Diastatic power/Lintner for this malt is 65 and so much lower than Pale malt. So need to watch what lower or no Diastatic powered malts I add to the recipe :|
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:45 am

john luc wrote:The reason I ask is I noticed the Diastatic power/Lintner for this malt is 65 and so much lower than Pale malt. So need to watch what lower or no Diastatic powered malts I add to the recipe :|

If you know the diastatic power of all the grains used then as a rule of thumb, the total grain bill of a mash should have a diastatic power of at least 40 °L in order to guarantee efficient conversion of all the starches in the mash to sugars. A malt needs to be 35 °L to be considered self converting.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:13 am

If the diastatic power were less than 35*L, would we get away with it if a longer mash period were used? I got some mild malt myself. To be honest, I had considered the diastatic power. Luckily, I haven't used it yet.

orlando

Post by orlando » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:34 am

McMullan wrote:If the diastatic power were less than 35*L, would we get away with it if a longer mash period were used? I got some mild malt myself. To be honest, I had considered the diastatic power. Luckily, I haven't used it yet.
Don't know, but if you put in Pale Malt till you reach 40, that should keep you on track. Would certainly make sense to mash for 90 minutes but why not use an iodine test as you go until it shows conversion has taken place, just to be sure?

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:08 pm

I was thinking enzymes not being used up in the reactions might simply mean a longer mash would be the way to go. After enjoying one of Kyle's mild recipes, I planned to replace the pale with mild malt. Not sure now :? I need to do some reading.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:03 pm

65 litner is similar to any other british base ale malt, apart from the lighter kilned ones like lager malt which is more.

I thought mild ale malt just leaves a more dextrinous wort, it's not any darker than standard brtish pale ale malt or vienna for example