Optic (Spring) Malt

Confused about acid malt? You won't be after you post your malt-related questions here!
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Optic (Spring) Malt

Post by Meatymc » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:48 am

Does anyone know of an on-line supplier? Struggling since Hop & Grape went and the new owners of their web site aren't doing grain. H&G advertised based on Spring (formerly known as Optic) but seen articles elsewhere that seem to suggest Spring is not a re-name but a different variety.

Been in touch with Thomas Fawcett who have kindly advised which local stores they supply but only that they take TF's grain - they stores themselves don't stock Optic nor, apparently apart from me, have a demand for it. Suppose they might get one in as part of their next order but don't really want to have to get a full sack if possible.

Seems easier to get UK Optic in the States than it does here?!?

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Optic (Spring) Malt

Post by Jim » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:31 am

Looks like Optic is like rocky horse poo over here. What are you planning to brew with it?
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:39 pm

Hi Jim

I use it as the base malt for IPA and bitter. Did several compaison brews using Maris, Golden Promise and Optic and Optic won everytime. Just personal preference obviously but since H&G went I'm using Maris again and have been dissapointed with the result of the 1st one, 2nd one doesn't smell particularly great (bottling tomorrow) and the last of the grain I bought goes into the fermenter tomorrow. Really want some Optic in the next couple weeks!!!

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:54 pm

Optic isn't grown anymore really. The stuff in the states will be a couple of years old or not grown in the UK, or maybe contract grown for them

see this

http://www.ukmalt.com/sites/default/fil ... _96dpi.pdf

a-slayer
Hollow Legs

Post by a-slayer » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:37 am

Plenty of other spring varieties of malt available, try Concerto. The Malt miller sells it.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:48 am

Yes, Optic was reasonably popular some years back but isn't really around these days. Meanwhile Concerto (also Propino) took off, and are even filtering through to the homebrew market. They weren't in your original test, so could be worth a go to see of they suit you as an alternative; Concerto doesn't have much MO heritage in its genes if you wish to avoid similarities (many other types do).

As you say, much is down to personal preference (and many recipes/beers that call themselves IPAs are actually very different, too), so only your choice is the right one. my preferences won't help you, as I happen to like MO. But.. those aside, MO should have at least worked quite well in an IPA, certainly not smelled funny even if it was in more of an APA or similar. So I wonder if something went wrong?
Kev

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:48 pm

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I think 1st job is to go back to Thomas Fawcett and find out exactly what the Spring Malt is in their catalogue. When I first contacted them I specified Optic and they didn't say they didn't do it - just that they don't supply homebrewers direct.

This 2nd MO has a slight off smell but I'm wondering if that might be the krausen - I messed aound with the dry hopping this time leaving the krausen high and (almost dry). I've bottled it - we'll see what I've got in 4-5 weeks time.

3rd Brew into a thoroughly cleaned fermenter just in case there was/is something lurking in there - even used steam (hand nozzle on wallpaper stripper) following a suggestion on here the last - and thankfully only time I had an issue and then lots of star san.

Not been a good run recently:

Grains - looks like Optic is no more and delivery costs will put up the cost whatever I end up using
Hops - crop looks a lot reduced compared to last year. On the last 500g of the 2017 crop so will run out soon
Yeast - scavenged the dregs from 3 bottle of Proper Job but after 3 days no activity whatsoever. Run out of DME so thrown in my last scavenged yeast sample - an S-05 and fired up within 4 hours. Going to be interesting if nothing else!

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:40 pm

Supply isn't always that consistent, is it? Weather, fashion, economics and so on; even the yeast in bottled beer can change without warning. I'm glad that I'm not a small micro, concerned about consistency but without much buying power.

Though sometimes fluctuations can be opportunities to try new alternatives; it has sometimes (usefully) kicked me out of a comfortable rut with some regular brews. There is often something good in its own right, or at least worth a trial, 'if' you don't need to make exact replicas.

Though I'd look at what you can buy, rather than what maltsters make, as not all types make it to homebrew retailers. I guess partly because of the size of our market, but also some malts are fairly mediocre (only making any sense in commercial circles, bought in bulk).
Kev

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:09 am

I'm always happy to try something new. My frustration here is I've been fine tuning my IPA recipe for the last couple of months and I'm so, so close to what I wanted to acheive. Now, I could well have to change malt so really becomes a start all over again.

Having said that, even if I can get the Malt there's no saying it's from the same grower or maltster and of course when my current crop of hops runs out this years - even from the exact same plant, will most probably be totally different in terms of profile (AA% etc).

Ah well, looks like I'll just have to keep experimenting :wink:

borischarlton
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by borischarlton » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:39 pm

Hi,

We have about 75kg of Optic here, give us a call if you would like some.

01793 486565

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:50 pm

borischarlton wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:39 pm
Hi,

We have about 75kg of Optic here, give us a call if you would like some.

01793 486565
Hi Rob

What's the likelihood/possibility of you stocking Halcyon in the future?
Best wishes

Dave