Hop combo wanted! These 13 in stock...

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Hop combo wanted! These 13 in stock...

Post by MTW » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:06 pm

Hi all

I have these 13 in stock, some of which I've never used. Your suggestions would be very welcome! I want the dry hop to consist of pellets only. In no particular order:

Leaf
Mosaic 8g
Fuggle 5AA 80g
Perle 7.8AA 26g
Galaxy 15.4AA 30g
Willamette 4.7AA 30g
Magnum 17.3AA 24g
Northern Brewer 6.7AA <5g

Pellets
Amarillo 8.4AA 17g
Vic Secret 70g
Admiral 75g
Bravo 16AA 78g
Equinox 13.1AA 75g

I want to do the biggest hop bomb I will ever have done, to include as big a dry hop as you think I can get to sink in 20L! I've never put more than 50g pellets in 23L before. I do have the facility to crash chill, and could rack and re-hop, purging with CO2 etc.

Not looking for mega IBUs, well not over 50 or so, so plenty in late. OG around 1.050. I'm going to mash fairly high and have some cara in there; I'd like a little body, rather than bone dry. Something resinous with big aroma.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Re: Hop combo wanted! These 13 in stock...

Post by scuppeteer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:28 pm

SO my thoughts are:

Perle and Magnum @ 60mins
Galaxy and Mosaic @ 15mins
If you're happy to late hop with pellets then use the Equinox and Vic Secret @ 1 min
Dry hop with the Amarillo whilst chilling (48hrs ? )

Happy brewing. ;)
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Hop combo wanted! These 13 in stock...

Post by MTW » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:47 pm

Thanks! I was thinking the same with the Mosaic and Galaxy, and Magnum to bitter.

I think I'm going to go big with the vic secret (+more Galaxy and a bit of Admiral) late, then dry hop with plenty of vic secret, all the Amarillo, and a bit of Admiral. I'm hoping that's heading towards a resinous, fruity pale. I'm not sure I'm keen on Equinox; just used them once, to poor effect, and haven't liked the couple of commercials I've had either.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery