Aged AA%?

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Aged AA%?

Post by Monkeybrew » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:09 pm

Hi

I've got an unopened foil vacpak of 2012 Nelson Sauvin Whole hops with a 12.3%AA that have been stored in my freezer for the last couple of years.

I want to use them in an all NS American Style Wheat Beer, so would like to hear opinions on what their aged AA% is now.

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

Dennis King

Re: Aged AA%?

Post by Dennis King » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:14 pm

I would have thought stored in unopened vacpack in a freezer they would still be in pristine condition.

Monkeybrew

Post by Monkeybrew » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:37 pm

Dennis King wrote:I would have thought stored in unopened vacpack in a freezer they would still be in pristine condition.
Thanks Dennis :)

I'm going to be using such a small amount for bittering, that if their AA% has dropped a bit, it won't massively affect the IBU of the beer I suppose.

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:

On Tap:

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sun May 01, 2016 7:34 am

I've been thinking the exact thing lately with the hops I've got. I recently saw a recipe on here where they accounted for AA losses, I've never done that though and stuck to the original AA. It certainly hasn't affected the bitterness.

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Sadfield » Sun May 01, 2016 9:18 pm

Capture.PNG
As stated above, shouldn't have a massive reduction if stored well.

Monkeybrew

Post by Monkeybrew » Wed May 04, 2016 5:29 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I think that I will take an average and go for 11.4%AA.

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:

On Tap:

deanrpwaacs
Piss Artist

Post by deanrpwaacs » Wed May 04, 2016 7:20 pm

Why waste nelson on bittering ? Better to use some magnum and save the Nelson if you ask me .
Drinking ,Arrogant Bsteward,Black Wit,Cream Rye Stout,
Conditioning,Tally Ho,Spitfire
In the FV,Nowt
In the cube,Nowt
Coming up ,Old Spec Hen,Red IPA,Mega Hop Thing,Larkins Chidingstone,maybe a venture into Lager.
Love hops drink beer have a look here http://uk.ebid.net/items/ramengltddean

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed May 04, 2016 9:15 pm

I haven't noticed any change even when stored tightly wrapped (open) in the freezer for 18 months plus. What were they to begin with anyway :wink:

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Wed May 04, 2016 10:16 pm

If in the deep freezer there seems only a small change in bittering (in my perception) within four or five years of the harvest (or a few years in a fridge, although the aroma seems to fall off a little more). So I'd only adjust/increase the quantity by a small amount for bittering.

At one time I adjusted quantities significantly after even just a year or two, I forget exactly how much but I'm pretty sure the rate came from one of the major UK hop producers/retailers. However the bitterness was then excessive to my taste. Its a complex area for one with such limited chemistry as myself, but alpha acids aren't the whole story; it seems that oxidation plays a roll and so do beta acids - and IIRC the alpha acids transform rather than magically vanish.

EDIT: just done a bit of poking around; the (for the love of) hops book suggests most of the alpha acids remain after five years when frozen, online calculators vary but some reckon its down to less than 4% so there seems very little agreement. Pretty much all of their predictions are gloomy at room temperature though.
Kev

Dennis King

Post by Dennis King » Wed May 04, 2016 10:54 pm

Do we worry about it to much? When I first started brewing I bought hops from a brewing shop in London. They stored the hops in cardboard containers and weighed out whatever you wanted at time of purchase. With only one harvest a year some of those hops would have been at least a year old but still made decent beers.