Growing hops from seed

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Growing hops from seed

Post by adamzworld » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:39 am

I was wondering whether anyone had experience in growing hops from seeds?

I was given a hop growing kit as a gift and it says that to get the seeds to germinate, you need to leave them between two damp sheets of paper towel in the fridge for at least one month or until they show signs of growth.

My question is that each day the paper towel that they're wrapped in dries out so I have to keep wetting it daily. Am I doing something wrong here, should I keep the moistened paper towel in a sealed sandwich bag to prevent the water from evaporating and the towel drying up?

Thanks in advance

keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Growing hops from seed

Post by keith1664 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:01 am

I've no experience in growing hops from seed.
What I do know is that the resultant plant will be an unknown entity, all of the known varieties are clones grown from cuttings or rhizomes, anything from seed is an unknown. Many years are spent by the various hop people crossing varieties, growing from the seeds and seeing if the result is worth brewing with. It takes a lot of time to come up with a viable new variety.

Basically if you want something you know you can brew with get a rhizome and grow that.

If however you're just growing it for fun I'm sure a plant person will be along soon.
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by keith1664 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:02 am

But yes, I'd keep it in a sandwich bag.
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:49 am

Thanks Keith, I thought that would help things along a bit of it was in a sealed bag. I'll transfer it today.

Nitro Jim
Steady Drinker

Post by Nitro Jim » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:51 pm

Of course with growing from seed there is no guarantee that you will get a female plant...
Beer is my drug of choice.
I don't need anger management classes, I need people to stop pissing me off.

No beer, no fun - know beer, know FUN!