Wheeler 'dry hop with a few cones...'

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Doreblade
Steady Drinker

Wheeler 'dry hop with a few cones...'

Post by Doreblade » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:44 pm

Just coming to the end of fermenting GW's recipe for Everards Tiger and it says 'dry hop with a few cones of Goldings'.

I've only got pellets so anyone got a thought on how many pellets/weight I should throw in to equate 'a few cones'?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Wheeler 'dry hop with a few cones...'

Post by MarkA » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:10 pm

I would just go for a few! I have often wondered whether adding just a few cones would actually make any difference to the final product?

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:14 pm

FWIW I use about 25 grams of either hop cones or hop pellets in 25 litres of beer. Sometimes more. 'A few cones' in 25 litres is hardly likely to be noticeable.

I've often wondered what GW meant when he said this.

Guy

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:23 pm

Recorded in a brewing log.
R0010302.JPG
I think that is equivalent to about 9gm in 23 litres. That would have virtually no impact on a hoppy brew, but in a lightly hopped one, the impact can be quite refreshing for a short period.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Doreblade
Steady Drinker

Post by Doreblade » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:22 pm

It had 27g Challenger pellets at 60 mins and 10g Fuggles pellets at 10mins. Not overly hoppy. I added about 10 pellets (should have weighed them for reference).

I tasted it before I added them as was testing gravity and it will be interesting to see If I notice any aroma changes on the next reading/tasting.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:25 pm

Can't quite make that out Eric. Is that 2 oz per barrel? And does 'barrel' mean 36 gallons? So, about 65g per barrel, from your 9g per 23 litre calculation.

Very low compared to nowadays. What was the beer?

Guy

Doreblade
Steady Drinker

Post by Doreblade » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:43 pm

Couldn't kill my curiosity - just weighed out a similar amount - reckon I put in about 4g.

Doreblade
Steady Drinker

Post by Doreblade » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:44 pm

In 23l

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:51 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:25 pm
Can't quite make that out Eric. Is that 2 oz per barrel? And does 'barrel' mean 36 gallons? So, about 65g per barrel, from your 9g per 23 litre calculation.

Very low compared to nowadays. What was the beer?

Guy
Wartime Nimmo's XXX, a 1032 lightly hopped pale. This is the whole of that page of the log, just a bit blurred.
R0010303.JPG
Yes, 2 oz in one barrel, so something like 57 gm in 143 litres.

After the war that brew returned to 1037 OG and XXXX again became 1044 from 1037 wartime.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Raiderman666
Sober

Post by Raiderman666 » Sun May 16, 2021 8:56 pm

Back in the day when 100g of hops was plenty to brew an aromatic beer and Timothy Taylor’s smelt wonderful, to the point you almost didn’t need to drink it, you could sniff it all night and holding a few hops back was the norm, but now when chucking 100g of Citra in after the boil is not extravagant Wheelers approach belongs to a different age. Sometimes I wonder about brewing to those ratios but I worry I wouldn’t taste it. I don’t drink Tim Taylor’s anymore either.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon May 17, 2021 8:03 am

Adding a final touch of 'seasoning' to refresh or otherwise balance subtle complexities of a decent English ale hardly represents a practice belonging to 'a different age'. It has more to do with skills of the Brewer. His ability to present a decent English pint. A tradition likely to be kept alive by enthusiasts, if no one else. Compared with what? Clueless marketeers stagnating in a small 'craft' market that was already saturated with hardly any growth (a 'whopping' 0.2%) in 2019, before covid decimated most small independent craft microbreweries? The UK crafty beer period, based more on marketing than brewing skill, is likely to end as it began. With BrewDog as the key offender. To maintain their disproportionate market share, which is 'anti craft' anyway, apparently - they'll have to brew two products. Lager for a share of the 3/4 of UK beer drinkers and no alcohol pops for the more health conscious next generation of UK consumers.

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon May 17, 2021 2:13 pm

Raiderman666 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:56 pm
Back in the day when 100g of hops was plenty to brew an aromatic beer and Timothy Taylor’s smelt wonderful, to the point you almost didn’t need to drink it, you could sniff it all night and holding a few hops back was the norm, but now when chucking 100g of Citra in after the boil is not extravagant Wheelers approach belongs to a different age. Sometimes I wonder about brewing to those ratios but I worry I wouldn’t taste it. I don’t drink Tim Taylor’s anymore either.
That brought to mind a lecture by Dr Keith Thomas a few years back, when he touched on a relatively new trend of heavy hopping. He advised that heavily hopped beer numbed our sensors and that subsequent beers did not taste as bitter or as heavily hopped. He went on to report there was evidence for a longer term consequence of drinking heavily hopped beers and that some drinkers would become incapable of tasting other beers. Seems he could be right.