Hop Growing 2009

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
MartialAnt

Re: Hop Growing 2009

Post by MartialAnt » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:03 pm

My Challenger is just s stump with green shoots that wont grow. You can see the pic further back in this thread. I emailed A+ & they offered to send another but i declined as i dont like Challenger. Them Wetherspoons pints have put me off it. But hey ho ive got a load of cuttings starting to take from the other 4 varieties so im not that worried.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:03 pm

Think I'll email regarding my poor WGV plant, a replacement £5 would be good too! :)

*and to think I dropped them a link on my Blog too!!! Free advertising for a dead plant ;)

***Update, they are kindly going to replace the dead one :) :) So all is good :)
Last edited by WishboneBrewery on Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edit1now
Under the Table

Post by edit1now » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:21 pm

The two Fuggles bare-root plants I had from Aplus, I thought were dead, but they're now about two feet and 18 ins high respectively. Not dead, yet, but not as enthusiastic as the little Saaz plants from HopfenShop (8 ft) or the long-established Hallertauer from Deacons (not sure where the ends are :D ).

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:14 pm

edit1now wrote: little Saaz plants from HopfenShop (8 ft)
Do you have a working link to them? If the website I'm finding is them its not working!
Ta :)

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:36 am

Cutting now growing thanks to MartialAnt :)

MartialAnt

Post by MartialAnt » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:36 pm

pdtnc wrote:Image

Cutting now growing thanks to MartialAnt :)
Well im really glad for you that its doing well. All 14 cuttings that i did the same time as that one died (frazzled in the greenhouse) & the other 25ish i did a week later are dead. I even put 10 of em in rockwool & tried them like that with an expensive rooting gel that illegal horticulturists use. Think i'll do the next lot in plain old water.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:53 pm

MartialAnt wrote: Well im really glad for you that its doing well. All 14 cuttings that i did the same time as that one died (frazzled in the greenhouse) & the other 25ish i did a week later are dead. I even put 10 of em in rockwool & tried them like that with an expensive rooting gel that illegal horticulturists use. Think i'll do the next lot in plain old water.
The cutting looked a bit dry in its leaves until I put the half bottle over it and it really brought it around... We've had a long weekend over at Whitby, came back yesterday to find it like that so I'm pretty happy :)
I might have to do you some cuttings at this rate!!
Cheers :)

edit1now
Under the Table

Post by edit1now » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:55 am

Sorry, I haven't had time to get back onto JBK all week :(

Hopfen-Shop should get you straight onto the Saaz page. €7.40 including P&P to the UK.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:52 pm

Thanks... Bookmarked :)

AngloScot

Post by AngloScot » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:23 pm

Here's a quick question for the hop growing experts! :D

It's my first year growing hops (prima donna/first gold) from a rhyzome and I currently have a couple of shoots (one about 8 or 9 feet the other about 5 feet long) sprouting. All the other shoots were trimmed back at ground level to concentrate the growth into the 2 main ones. However, I am getting quite a few 'sideshoots' coming off the 2 main shoots. I have trimmed off the ones closer to the ground (< 5 feet) to prevent mildew but what should I do with the sideshoots that are sprouting further up? Some of them are getting a bit long and it could end up being murder trying to train all of these buggers!

Should I just trim off any sideshoots? No matter what height? :?

Cheers!

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:45 pm

No, those lateral side shoots are where the hops grow from! I just let them dangle personally.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:34 am

A Little Hop update :)
From Left to right...
Fuggles cuttings still alive!
WGV cutting doing well :)
Replacement WGV from aplus hops :) Doing well as the first one just died.

The Challenger plant is now making its way onto the strings I've strung across the yard.

The Fuggle is really going for it!!!!!

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:26 pm

I'll get a picture of mine up soon, they really enjoyed the heatwave.

Talisman
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Talisman » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:19 pm

Im a bit gutted. 2nd year in and the fuggles i have is doing very well.

The challenger i have that did ok for its first year started out well in april. Grew loads and then sod me its dried up an all the leaves and looks completely dead.. i was watering it well. only thing i can thing off is there seemed to be loads of bugs getting to the leaves.... :cry:
Black Lab Ale - est April 2008
FV 1: Old Spec Hen FG1053
FV 2: Empty
Cornie 1: Empty
Cornie 2: Empty
Cornie 3: Empty
Cornie 4: Empty
Cornie 5: Empty
Bottled: Nowt
http://www.blacklabale.co.uk

Chiltern Brewer

Post by Chiltern Brewer » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:45 pm

Talisman wrote:Im a bit gutted. 2nd year in and the fuggles i have is doing very well.

The challenger i have that did ok for its first year started out well in april. Grew loads and then sod me its dried up an all the leaves and looks completely dead.. i was watering it well. only thing i can thing off is there seemed to be loads of bugs getting to the leaves.... :cry:
You may have over-watered it? Infrequent deep watering is best and arguably an established bine won't need it unless we have drought conditions. I've only watered mine every other week when I was applying a liquid feed.

Greenfly (aphids) have been particularly bad this year (due to the warm weather?), I've been spraying my bines with soapy (washing up liquid) water about once a week over the last month. The ladybird larvae seem to be moping them up now. Even so I don't think this would have done for you bine, Challenger IME is pretty resistant to greenfly.