Hop Growing 2009

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
MartialAnt

Re: Hop Growing 2009

Post by MartialAnt » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:40 pm

This is how my 4 are doing.
Bramling X

Fuggle

Northdown

WGV

As i haven't landscaped my garden this year like i wanted to my Fuggle & Northdown are a bit stuck. Ive nowhere to send them to. I just keep making em grow back & forth so they look bushy. So i think i shall have a re-think to where they'll be planted before next growing season..

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:50 pm

looking good, bet you look content sat drinking home brew in your gay greenhouse too :lol:

MartialAnt

Post by MartialAnt » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:57 pm

pdtnc wrote:looking good, bet you look content sat drinking home brew in your gay greenhouse too :lol:
Only if i had home brew to drink. The house sitter drank my stocks dry while i was at Glastonbury. He only left me my special brew cider & a few bottles he never found.
But yes wendy/greenhouse gay as fook.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:03 pm

What an excellent house sitter!!! :evil:
Least you'll have plenty of excuses to get some more beer on! :)

MartialAnt

Post by MartialAnt » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:16 pm

pdtnc wrote:What an excellent house sitter!!! :evil:
Least you'll have plenty of excuses to get some more beer on! :)
Well the Hobgoblin is ready for secondary. I brewed another the day after but the hose connected to my chiller was split & filled my boiler so i had 55L instead of 25L of foobarred wort which i tipped. Got another on the go that i brewed on Friday aft to make up for it.
Im back working full time so havent got time to brew like i did before. Gutting when you lose a brew when you have so little time to do it in.
I need to buy 3 FV taps then i can have 5 brews on the go at the same time. Xmas is getting close so its nearly time to mass brew. Better get the taps ordered.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:59 pm

disaster!!! #-o

CIT

Post by CIT » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:09 pm

Good news, APLUS have sent me replacements, and poted ones too (originals were bare rooted)
CIT wrote:
my poor WGV that came from APLUS seems to be slowly killing its self though my Fuggle and Challenger are starting off well. :)
pdtnc, note you've had problems with a plant from APlus. My WGV is just about surviving, the Challenger and Progress I think are dead, all from APLUS. By contrast I also bought some plants from Deacon Nursery this year which are now 10ft high!

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:28 pm

My Replacement WGV is going well now, still on a sunny windowsill indoors but has lots of fresh healthy growth :)

CIT wrote:Good news, APLUS have sent me replacements, and poted ones too (originals were bare rooted)
CIT wrote:
my poor WGV that came from APLUS seems to be slowly killing its self though my Fuggle and Challenger are starting off well. :)
pdtnc, note you've had problems with a plant from APlus. My WGV is just about surviving, the Challenger and Progress I think are dead, all from APLUS. By contrast I also bought some plants from Deacon Nursery this year which are now 10ft high!

MartialAnt

Post by MartialAnt » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:00 pm

Just noticed my hops have started to flower.
Bram X

Northdown

WGV

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:07 pm

Ooo, excellent stuff! :) I've still got the WGV indoors on a windowsill, I'll have to move it outside soon as its getting big :)

simple one
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by simple one » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:32 am

Just worked it out. Probably due to network connedtion. Thats been 4 months of chin rubbing.

Question: How exactly did you start your cutting? Hints and tip greatly appreciated.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:13 am

simple one wrote:Just worked it out. Probably due to network connedtion. Thats been 4 months of chin rubbing.
:roll: =D>
Were you talking to me about the cutting?
MartialAnt was kind enough to send me a rooted WGV cutting that I put under half a coke bottle for ages to keep it moist while it got going.

I've got a couple of Fuggles cuttings starting off nicely which I dipped in Rooting compound and potted in fresh compost and putting the half coke bottle on top again after watering in, its not a quick process.
:)

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:08 pm

my Fuggle with a bit of rough photoshoppery.
Image :)

MartialAnt

Post by MartialAnt » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:19 pm

Glad i found these in time. Just imagine what they could have done to my fuggle.

edit1now
Under the Table

Post by edit1now » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:02 pm

Deep-fried with noodles?