Hop Supplier

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Belto
Piss Artist

Hop Supplier

Post by Belto » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:23 am

I placed this information as an addition to another topic but I feel it needs it's own space

I have just placed an order for more hops with http://www.aplus-hops.co.uk (Nr Ipswich)
I was surprised that he is lifting his stock to sell mid to late November.

This would have the advantage of establishing the rooting system ahead of the growing season in spring and hopefully get a better first year crop.

I intend to plant in prepared ground and cover with plastic or some other heat preserving material so that the cold weather does not pentrate the ground and inhibit the root development.
Also be aware of slugs etc that would love this environment to sit out the winter and enjoy the root development

In conversatio with him (John Wright & Kerrie his assitant) were surprised at the problems drying the hops in homes with Condensing boilers or homes with no source of spring/ summer heat.

They have both taken boxes of several types of hops home and are investigating the problem
If a sucessful method is found they will come back to me with their test results and I will publish them here.

Would there be any problems with Aplus Hops joining the Forum to offer their advice on home grown Hops

The hops I purchased are:
Cob
Fuggles
WGV

All bare root @ £5.00 ech

Pot versions available @ £7.00 + £5.00 postage.
By the way I have no commercial links or otherwise with the company , I just feel he has valuable knowledg for us

chris_reboot

Re: Hop Supplier

Post by chris_reboot » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:30 am

get them on! I need all the help I can get after a disappointing first year growth :(

haz66

Re: Hop Supplier

Post by haz66 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:50 pm

chris_reboot wrote:get them on! I need all the help I can get after a disappointing first year growth :(
hear hear :D