I've gone hop crazy

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

I've gone hop crazy

Post by flytact » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:52 pm

Making a hop purchase for an Imperial Amber (Troegs Nugget Nectar) and replenishing my stocks, I seem to have gotten carried away:
8 oz Nugget
4 oz Palisade
4 oz Simcoe
4 oz Warrior
12 oz Centennial
4 oz Columbus
4 oz Cascade
4 oz Chinook
4 oz Challenger (U.K)
4 oz East Kent Gold (U.K.)
4 oz Willamette
4 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker (GER)

whoops :lol:
Johnny Clueless was there
With his simulated wood grain

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Re: I've gone hop crazy

Post by WishboneBrewery » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:39 pm

Nice :) I'm trying to 'Run down' my stock and recently used up some older stock before I move onto some more interesting brews with newer hops :)

haz66

Post by haz66 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:48 pm

pdtnc wrote:Nice :) I'm trying to 'Run down' my stock and recently used up some older stock before I move onto some more interesting brews with newer hops :)
Thats my idea for now to but i actually want to do brews with hops i dont have, but i have soo many hops it just seems logical to use up what i have :D

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:52 pm

I should post my hop inventory. It's getting a bit out of control. I have more hops than food.

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:35 am

mysterio wrote:I should post my hop inventory. It's getting a bit out of control. I have more hops than food.

:lol:

You say that like its a 'bad thing'....

:D

Guy
8)

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:28 am

Sounds like an Update to viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26377 is due, I'm almost sure I'll have a shorter list now, though quantities on some varieties may be a tad bigger! :)

coatesg

Post by coatesg » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:02 pm

pdtnc wrote:Nice :) I'm trying to 'Run down' my stock and recently used up some older stock before I move onto some more interesting brews with newer hops :)
Ditto. I found 200g of Saaz of various age in the freezer at the weekend, so I have to find a use for those (and no real chance to brew that much lager - so a saazy bitter is on the cards!). Equally, an unopened pack of challenger is going to go into one beer for my next brew, not to mention the dump load of goldings and first gold I picked this year, a bag with 400g of fuggles, and Christ knows what packets here and there. Formulating recipes to make beer to use up whole or remnants of packets!

(Didn't stop my buying another pack of cascade from Rob the Malt Miller the other day to "help" in using up some of the other hops I already have :roll: )

fatcontro11er
Piss Artist

Post by fatcontro11er » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:28 pm

just been doing a stock count and have 16 oz home grown bram x
and 5 .5lb of home grown cascade
just bottled a barley wine of around 9% using just cacade app 9 oz in a 18 l batch its very tasty !

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:06 am

fatcontro11er wrote:just been doing a stock count and have 16 oz home grown bram x
and 5 .5lb of home grown cascade
just bottled a barley wine of around 9% using just cacade app 9 oz in a 18 l batch its very tasty !
Sounds great! How do the home grown Cascades compare to the shop bought ones?

fatcontro11er
Piss Artist

Post by fatcontro11er » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:57 am

far superior, i think its because they are fresher and also processed less so there is much more lupulin in the cones ! there`s just more flavour and aroma, also im not limited to how much i put in a recipe because they are so much cheaper in the long run , one 3year old plant gave me two bins full of cones last sept - nov which dried down to app 3-4 kgs, which meant im not limited to amounts in the recipes, i like really hoppy ales and cascade is my favorite hop !