Vacuum Bag Storage

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Belto
Piss Artist

Vacuum Bag Storage

Post by Belto » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:51 am

I have half a barrel of my dry garden hops to store. The best way to store I understand is to remove all air and keep at a low temperature.
Have I read that there are vacuum bags available where the air can be removed with a standard vacuum cleaner.
Or any other DIY method that will be satisfactory.

crafty john

Re: Vacuum Bag Storage

Post by crafty john » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:51 am

My missus bought some vacuum bags to store bedding etc. I suppose they could be used to store hops but good quality bags are expensive, the cheap ones don't seal properly also they aren't food grade and they would let the light in unless they are stored in the dark. I bought myself a vacuum sealer from Lidl for £20.00 and that does a reasonable job, it's also good for re packing hops when you open a pack and don't use them all, your hops would be better in the freezer packed in smaller amounts.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Vacuum Bag Storage

Post by Rookie » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:24 pm

I have a vacuum sealer that works good; you can also use it in the kitchen for regular food storage.
Before I got it I would wrap the hops (1 ounce at a time) tightly in tin foil put that in a baggy then in to a ziplock freezer bag. If you close the ziplock all but about an inch you can manually suck out the air and close it fairly airtight. I used hops stored that way that were over 5 years old that were still good.
I'm just here for the beer.