Junga

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
naffolddog

Junga

Post by naffolddog » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:28 pm

Anyone tried this new Polish high alpha variety yet?

I've just got some from the Malt Miller. They're said to be good for bittering, like Magnum but with a nice aroma.

Fuse

Re: Junga

Post by Fuse » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:51 pm

I was looking at this variety they other day - have ordered some but its not arrived for me to try out yet, when i read the brewers notes, it seemed very interesting:

Brewing Character: Very high bitter value and a good bitter quality like German Magnum but with nice aroma. Comparable with Nugget, Gelena, Chinock. Derived from Northern Brewer and Marynka.

Would be interesting to hear if anyones used it yet?

zgoda
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Odp: Junga

Post by zgoda » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:29 pm

I used it a lot last year. It's a descendant of German Northern Brewer but with less pungent bitterness, more in style of Perle bitterness, although with much higher a-acid yield.

Overall superb bittering hop for low to moderate bitter beers, still shows Northern Brewer heritage when used in larger amount (over 30 ibus).

And BTW, the correct name is "iunga", not "junga". Name comes from IUNG institute for agriculture in Pulawy.

Fuse

Re: Odp: Junga

Post by Fuse » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:38 pm

zgoda wrote:I used it a lot last year. It's a descendant of German Northern Brewer but with less pungent bitterness, more in style of Perle bitterness, although with much higher a-acid yield.

Overall superb bittering hop for low to moderate bitter beers, still shows Northern Brewer heritage when used in larger amount (over 30 ibus).

And BTW, the correct name is "iunga", not "junga". Name comes from IUNG institute for agriculture in Pulawy.
Thanks for the info, having a look about and there are a few beers that have been made commercially with it - generally to good reviews.

As for the name, its been named Junga in the charles faram catalogue and just about every where else, looks like someones made a typo early on and its been propogated through everywhere else now :)

naffolddog

Junga

Post by naffolddog » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:02 am

Yes they definitely seem to be going by the name of Junga. Theres a few breweries that have used them in the UK with good reviews.

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Beer O'Clock » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:31 pm

naffolddog wrote:Yes they definitely seem to be going by the name of Junga. Theres a few breweries that have used them in the UK with good reviews.
Yes, but pronounced with a 'soft' J :D Sometimes there are no direct translations from foreign into Anglo-saxon.
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

naffolddog

Junga

Post by naffolddog » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:34 pm

Beer O'Clock wrote:
naffolddog wrote:Yes they definitely seem to be going by the name of Junga. Theres a few breweries that have used them in the UK with good reviews.
Yes, but pronounced with a 'soft' J :D Sometimes there are no direct translations from foreign into Anglo-saxon.
I did pronounce it with a soft J! ;)

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Beer O'Clock » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:35 pm

Good man :D
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

Troutman47
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Troutman47 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:27 am

These hops have been reduced to clear at The Home Brew Shop. £2.04 for 100g

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/aca ... -Hops.html