Undried Hops

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Belto
Piss Artist

Undried Hops

Post by Belto » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:37 pm

Is there any reason why one cannot use hops to brew straight from the bine?

boingy

Re: Undried Hops

Post by boingy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:48 pm

Nope, no reason at all. It works well. Assume fresh hops are 4 times the weight of dry. You'll have to estimate the %AA (base it on recent harvests) but you can make excellent beer.

I'm already looking forward to doing a couple of "wet hop" brews in the next month or so. My previous ones are amongst my favourite beers.

PaddyX21

Post by PaddyX21 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:59 pm

The proprietor of my LHBS does this with his brews, and recommended it to me (not that I have any hops with which to do so, but hey ho!)

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:03 pm

I have some First Gold that are heaving with cones, so I plan at least one green hop brew.

One thing concerns me though after the best guess with AA % and using 4 times the amount - should I be worries about any 'guests' getting into the beer?
I mean aphids and other insects etc.

I'm guessing a 15 minute boil will take care of most infections (wild eyast primarily) they may be harbouring?

On another point wil they soak up less wort as they are already wet?

Cheers!

Guy

8)

PaddyX21

Post by PaddyX21 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:24 pm

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:59 pm

Manx Guy wrote:I have some First Gold that are heaving with cones, so I plan at least one green hop brew.

One thing concerns me though after the best guess with AA % and using 4 times the amount - should I be worries about any 'guests' getting into the beer?
I mean aphids and other insects etc.

I'm guessing a 15 minute boil will take care of most infections (wild eyast primarily) they may be harbouring?

On another point wil they soak up less wort as they are already wet?

Cheers!

Guy

5 minute boil will do it. Insects in the beer add flavour! ;-)
8)
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC