Hop Growing 2013

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Bobba
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Hop Growing 2013

Post by Bobba » Mon May 20, 2013 10:20 am

scuppeteer wrote:
Bobba wrote:2x mathon aka Farnham whitebine (1st year)
Think you'll find that's a Canterbury Whitebine! :wink:
Take a look at Eadweard's blog http://edsbeer.blogspot.com/ seems Farnham got there first

Good job on the garden, a little short for most of your varieties but the First Gold will love it. The steel wire across the tops will be your best option, then you can string from each plant to the wires and cut down each Autumn, much easier. :)
Cheers fella. The posts aren't exactly full growth height for any of them, but including horizontal growth along the twine (once I put it up), each plant has ~40foot of growth room which should be ample for any of them. Sure, they'd prefer to go straight up, but I'd probably need planning for posts that tall!

FV: -
Conditioning: AG34 Randy's Three Nipple Tripel 9.2%, AG39 APA for a mate's wedding
On bottle: AG32 Homegrown Northdown ESB, AG33 Homegrown Cascade Best
On tap: -
Garden: 2x cascade, 2x Farnham whitebine (mathon), 2x northdown, 1x first gold

Eadweard

Post by Eadweard » Mon May 20, 2013 6:47 pm

Bobba wrote:
scuppeteer wrote:
Bobba wrote:2x mathon aka Farnham whitebine (1st year)
Think you'll find that's a Canterbury Whitebine! :wink:
Take a look at Eadweard's blog http://edsbeer.blogspot.com/ seems Farnham got there first
I work with Scuppeteer. There's a bit of a Surrey/Kent rivalry going on here!

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Tue May 21, 2013 9:48 pm

Bobba wrote:
Cazamodo wrote:Somethings eating my growing tips.

Ive been training the largest bine along my trellis and now two of my three hop plants have had the growing tip taken off! Not happy!
Could be birds. Any sign of the leaves being munched or is it just the tip's missing?
Could be birds.. We have sparrows nesting again this year and they have been seen nibbling on the sweet succulent hop tips as well as some salad veg and strawberry plants... Little blighters..
Mind you it will teach me to laugh at them trying to catch midges on the wing...
One can only assume they are feeding this protein and veggie rich cocktail two their young...?

Still my hops are doing ok, so no complaints

Cheers

Guy

chivelegs

Post by chivelegs » Tue May 21, 2013 10:54 pm

I miss sparrows! Living in London they're virtually non-existent. Plenty of bloody Parakeets though.

greenxpaddy

Post by greenxpaddy » Wed May 22, 2013 6:34 am

I have a family of starlings that march across the lawn pulling grubs and worms for their chicks, also nesting chaffinches and blackbirds. None seem interested in hops at the mo.

DeGarre

Post by DeGarre » Thu May 23, 2013 12:18 pm

Looks bad this year too. The area where I have my unknown hops that date from the 1920's if not earlier and which yielded well in 2011 is sadly water-logged again. There is a spring pushing water up and if the spring and summer are wet the soil dries up too late.

Anyone have ideas what these might be?

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Thu May 23, 2013 8:25 pm

DeGarre wrote:Anyone have ideas what these might be?
Yep, that's a Gooseberry! :lol:
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Belter

Post by Belter » Thu May 23, 2013 9:25 pm

DeGarre wrote:Looks bad this year too. The area where I have my unknown hops that date from the 1920's if not earlier and which yielded well in 2011 is sadly water-logged again. There is a spring pushing water up and if the spring and summer are wet the soil dries up too late.

Anyone have ideas what these might be?

hops? ;)

gnutz2

Post by gnutz2 » Fri May 24, 2013 7:16 pm

gnutz2 wrote:EKG going nuts as usual, gonna try 6 bines instead of 3 this year, hopefully it'll knock a bit off the height it gets to.

The speed these things grow at amazes me every year, just compare this piccy I took today, 19 days growth :shock:

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Sat May 25, 2013 9:25 am

gnutz2 wrote:
gnutz2 wrote:EKG going nuts as usual, gonna try 6 bines instead of 3 this year, hopefully it'll knock a bit off the height it gets to.

The speed these things grow at amazes me every year, just compare this piccy I took today, 19 days growth :shock:

Come on admit it you're just reposting last years pics aren't you! :lol:

By the by, they're gonna grow to what ever height they want, increasing the number of bines won't make a knats fart of a difference. :wink:
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

gnutz2

Post by gnutz2 » Sat May 25, 2013 10:49 am

scuppeteer wrote:

By the by, they're gonna grow to what ever height they want, increasing the number of bines won't make a knats fart of a difference. :wink:
I think north yorkshire is the new kent for hop growing :lol:

Thanks for the advice on the bines, maybe my next plant will be a dwarf variety, i've had a few bottles of the freeminer, gold miner from co-op and first gold is growing on me.

crafty john

Post by crafty john » Mon May 27, 2013 10:17 am

gnutz2 wrote:
scuppeteer wrote:

I think north yorkshire is the new kent for hop growing :lol:

Thanks for the advice on the bines, maybe my next plant will be a dwarf variety, i've had a few bottles of the freeminer, gold miner from co-op and first gold is growing on me.
I will be splitting my First Gold next spring if you want a cutting, you're not too far from me.

Gricey
Under the Table

Post by Gricey » Mon May 27, 2013 11:26 am

So my plants are growing in a pile unsupported this year due to laziness :) my garden is north facing but the front of my house is south facing. I live in a mid terrace though. I'm thinking having looked at how you guys are doing it, of just getting a long ladder and screwing some wooden blocks to the external wall up near the eves and just running twine down to pots (I have 2 big pots, perle and progress). Will have to get my arse down B&Q.
Bad Panda Brewery
Fermenting: FV1: AG#18 English IPA FV2: AG#19 Summer Dunkelweizen
Conditioning: AG#16 Chimay Reddish, AG#17 Amarillo Brillo
Maturing: AG#05 B.O.R.I.S.: Bricksh*tter Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout - ready 01/10/11, AG#07 Monkey Shot! IAPA - ready 16/06/11 maybe
Drinking: AG#11, AG#14, AG#15
Planning: AG#20 Summer Hefeweisen, AG#21 Saison Brettre, AG#22 Simcoe Poisoning Red IPA, AG#23 Oatmeal Stout

greenxpaddy

Post by greenxpaddy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:38 am

Here's my Bramling Cross, year 2, climbing a light rope. There are three bines climbing and they have just started to accelerate. Should reach the first floor window this year

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:32 pm

Gricey wrote:So my plants are growing in a pile unsupported this year due to laziness :) my garden is north facing but the front of my house is south facing. I live in a mid terrace though. I'm thinking having looked at how you guys are doing it, of just getting a long ladder and screwing some wooden blocks to the external wall up near the eves and just running twine down to pots (I have 2 big pots, perle and progress). Will have to get my arse down B&Q.
I've done a similar thing with a new Progress plant in a pot at the front of my house, as it gets a lot of sun in the afternoon.
Surprised SWMBO didn't complain, but luckily she likes the look of hops :) :!:

2 lines of doubled up twine from hooks at top.
Initially I just tied twine from top to stick at the base, but twine sagged a bit after a few days & rain, and moved in wind, so I was worried that sticks may get pulled out and plants disturbed if it got really windy.

Twine now tied to eye hooks 1/2 way down, then on to eye-hooks at the base near the pot.