Reminder about hops seeds: now is the time.

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Reminder about hops seeds: now is the time.

Post by seymour » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:19 pm

timmydog wrote:I've got 6 flyer x o.p. seedlings growing! :-)

I'll post pictures if they're successful, but I'll probably start another thread to avoid polluting this one...
That's fantastic, good work. Those are some very prolific seeds, it's makes me wonder if other varieties would be this easy too. Cheers!

seymour

Post by seymour » Sun May 17, 2015 2:48 pm

BUMP.

I went to check on my naturalized Flyer x. O.P. seedlings. This is their second full growing season "out in the field" and I was able to find 5-10 which I'm sure are mine, mixed-in with the native plants. Like last year, I'm sure there are many more, but until they get older and start producing cones it's sometimes hard to tell them apart from the invasive Japanese hops.

Sorry about such poor image quality. Most of all, I'm just happy for some "proof of life" if you know what I mean.

Cheers!

CJR
Under the Table

Post by CJR » Sun May 17, 2015 3:57 pm

What is the best way to start a wild hop reserve? There is an area nearby below a huge wall which I think could be great for wild hops.
Southern Brewing

FV 1 (5 gallon): Nothing
FV 2 (5 gallon): Nothing

Commercial: More booze than some local pubs.

seymour

Post by seymour » Sun May 17, 2015 4:10 pm

CJR wrote:What is the best way to start a wild hop reserve? There is an area nearby below a huge wall which I think could be great for wild hops.
All I can say is: a place possessing all the usual ideal Humulus lupulus growing conditions: good sunlight, occasional rain or some moisture from nearby running water, healthy soil, plus ideally some kind of slender trees or chain link fencing or support wire to climb up, which won't be mowed or sprayed by any groundskeepers, and where you won't be too blatantly trespassing to check on them and eventually pick the hops. ;)

Go for it, it costs nothing to try.

seymour

Post by seymour » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:48 pm

20160405_094309.jpg
They're baaaa-aaa-aaack!

AdrianTrace
Piss Artist

Post by AdrianTrace » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:16 pm

This thread has inspired me to search my hops - from today's brew: plenty of Topaz seeds, none in the Mosaic. I've planted the seeds, with no sandpapering, and the freezer time will have to do for resting period... These seeds have been resting since 2012, so I'll have to see if anything comes from them.

Given that hops are basically weeds, I'm hopeful :D
Ready to go: Malt extract, grain, yeast and a freezer full of hops.
Fermenting: Nowt.
Conditioning: Nelson's Revenge.
Drinking: Stop Wining, Firsty Gold, DarkMun, Yankee, Porter, ApAht, Cider, Mead, Tripel, Elderflower beer, Gluten Free, beer, wine, port, gin,beer, wine, port, gin...

seymour

Post by seymour » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:06 pm

AdrianTrace wrote:This thread has inspired me to search my hops - from today's brew: plenty of Topaz seeds...
I'm extrememly curious to hear if any of those seeds sprout. Not because of their age (that shouldn't be a problem) but because their "mother" Topaz is a triploid hop which was supposed to be sterile. If you get viable plants from that, you've either got something VERY interesting to botanists, or it means you weren't really sold Topaz hops.
from Creating New Hop Varieties

The third way to breed hops is by chemical inducement. Most hops are called diploids because they have two sets of chromosomes. A chemical is used to create a tetraploid hop, one with four sets of chromosomes. Then the tetraploid is crossed with a diploid to create the final product, a triploid hop. The goal of a commercially grown triploid hop is to create a female who acts like she is pollinated (and develops a bigger cone to house the seeds, thereby giving bigger yields) but is in fact sterile. The result is bigger yields without all the seeds of pollinated hops. The seeds are undesirable because they lower the harvested hop’s value.
In any case, I'm glad I inspired you to try growing hops from seeds. Keep up the great work!

AdrianTrace
Piss Artist

Post by AdrianTrace » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:26 pm

seymour wrote: I'm extrememly curious to hear if any of those seeds sprout. Not because of their age (that shouldn't be a problem) but because their "mother" Topaz is a triploid hop which was supposed to be sterile. If you get viable plants from that, you've either got something VERY interesting to botanists, or it means you weren't really sold Topaz hops.
That would not surprise me :D
Drinking: Stop Wining, Firsty Gold, DarkMun, Yankee, Porter, ApAht, Cider, Mead, Tripel, Elderflower beer, Gluten Free, beer, wine, port, gin,beer, wine, port, gin...

seymour

Post by seymour » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:05 pm

AdrianTrace wrote:That would not surprise me :D
That's funny, sounds like there might be a story there.

So, out of curiosity, when you brewed with those hops, did they seem Topaz-y and match your expectations? The breeders describe it as "earthy notes comparable to old English varieties", but that's a big understatement. Topaz is much fruitier, almost like the legendary and much-sought-after Galaxy hop. Fairly intense and unique when you use lots of it. Citrus rind, tropical fruit, hint of melon and tomato plant. Bitterness a little coarse, flavour better, aroma best of all. Recognizably Australian, but cleaner and more complex than classic Pride of Ringwood. Good not great, in my humble opinion.

AdrianTrace
Piss Artist

Post by AdrianTrace » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:45 pm

They were just a bunch of 250g packs off eBay for a very reasonable price, due to being 2012. But how can you ever be sure what you receive is what it says?

Surely if they Topaz is sterile, there should not even be seeds? Or does it not work like that?

As to the flavour, I have not experienced Galaxy (or other Topaz, for that matter), so it's hard to give an answer, but they have all been subdued, in smell at least. The AA% has worked out in the ballpark (ranged from 2.3% Strisselspalt to 17% Herkules - those two certainly matched the description), but as soon as I got hold of 2014/2015 hops the 2012 hops have been relegated to bittering/porter only.

seymour

Post by seymour » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:12 pm

AdrianTrace wrote: Surely if they Topaz is sterile, there should not even be seeds? Or does it not work like that?
You're exactly right. Triploid means three sets of chromosomes, which should never be able to be pollinated by a regular diploid male plant.

seymour

Post by seymour » Fri May 27, 2016 10:30 pm

20160526_170243.jpg
20160526_170120.jpg
20160526_165845.jpg
I think I found 3 or 4 more Flyer survivors in the wild area, but it's theoretically possible invasive Japanese hops found their way in. I'll be able to tell in several months IF they are female and IF they set cones.

garrymethews

Post by garrymethews » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:47 am

Great thanks, Seymour, for sharing about the asexual cloning. Please keep sharing more about it.

wilfh
Piss Artist

Post by wilfh » Thu May 09, 2019 2:06 pm

Bump

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:26 pm

seymour wrote:
Fri May 27, 2016 10:30 pm
I think I found 3 or 4 more Flyer survivors in the wild area, but it's theoretically possible invasive Japanese hops found their way in. I'll be able to tell in several months IF they are female and IF they set cones.
I know you don't live there anymore Seymour but do you ever go back to check on them? Might be some hybrids there now maybe??
"The paradise of the rich is made out of the hell of the poor" - Victor Hugo