Experiment in Hop Cuttings (not rhizomes)

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
andybiochem

Experiment in Hop Cuttings (not rhizomes)

Post by andybiochem » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:55 pm

Greetings!

After having moved house last year, I'm trying to get into properly growing my own hops for brewing. So far I have got both EKG and Cascade on the go. I've still got loads of room in the garden to get other varieties going, and so am keen to get a plan ready for next year's growing.

I've recently had a number of opportunities to expand on the types of hops I can grow from existing plants, however, for one reason or another have not been able to get access to the roots. There are several wild hop plants growing in the area which look amazing and the hops smell quite promising. I did a quick search on the internet for a reliable way of cloning a hop plant through leaf cuttings, but haven't found anything that has worked well enough to grow a second plant. I've successfully had a cutting produce roots but it quickly died after re-potting.

This is an experiment on how to make cuttings of a hop plant that successfully root and continue to grow into a clone of the original.

(I realise it's late in the year now to produce a full fruiting plant, but if I can get fresh new growth indoors, I'll call that a success).

I've made cuttings of a local wild hop plant using 5 different techniques as described in The Royal Horticultural Society's Encyclopedia of Gardening (this tome of gardening wisdom covers just about every plant, except the hop). Keep in mind that I'm no gardener, and this is the first time I've tried any type of real propagation of anything other than from simple seeds. I expect a lot of my terminology will be plain wrong, and that I'm missing a lot of info, but hopefully this experiment should allow myself and others to make cuttings from plants with a good success rate.

The 5 techniques are:
1) Semi-ripe bine cutting
2) Softwood bine cutting with 3+ leaves
3) Single leaf cut through node
4) Single leaf pulled from node
5) Single leaf with bine section

This is the hop plant in the wild:

Rather than taking numerous small cuttings, I took a sizeable chunk of bine along with some hops to brew with:

Prepared some muck in propagation pots:

1) Semi-ripe bine cutting: found a good thick bit of bine to prepare:

Cut through the bine & removed all leaves (note the angular cut at the base):

Potted:

2) Softwood bine cutting with 3+ leaves: Located a section of bine-tip with 3 small leaves. Removed any hops, & planted.

3) Single leaf cut through node: with a knife, cut through the node at the base of a single leaf.

4) Single leaf pulled from node: simply pulled a leaf off the bine, making sure the leaf tore off the node and didn't just snap the stem.

5) Single leaf with bine section: cut the bine on either side of a single leaf:

All planted out:

Time will tell which of these approaches will work best, and I'll be sure to update with the results.

In the meantime...can anyone help identify the variety??:

The cones are moderately large, quite oily, smell earthy with a bit of spiciness, immediately reminded me of fuggles...but it has been a while since I brewed with fuggles, so I might be a bit rusty. The main bine has red lines running along it (these aren't present in my EKG or Cascade, so I've ruled them out).

Thanks for reading!

andybiochem

Re: Experiment in Hop Cuttings (not rhizomes)

Post by andybiochem » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:05 pm

Quick edit:

I managed to get out to another wild hop plant today, and repeated the above experiment with that one, so two lots on the go...

Again, any idea on the variety?? This one smells a bit more 'mellow' than the above one. Still a bit earthy, but no spiciness.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:54 pm

Awesome experiment, best of luck!

I've propogated hops using your softwood bine method (#2), but definitely got a better success rate dipping the planted ends in a rooting hormone powder first. It looks like you didn't, but don't despair. Go ahead and buy some anyway, you'll use it again next time. This time, dissove some in water to feed to all your little cuttings. It's not very expensive, and it really does make a difference. If you're super-cheapo (like me, no judgment) you can do a quick-and-dirty alternative by crushing aspirin in water, or make your own by boiling-down some fresh weeping willow branch tips.

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:14 pm

Interesting, might have ago myself :)
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

andybiochem

Post by andybiochem » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:20 pm

seymour wrote:Awesome experiment, best of luck!

I've propogated hops using your softwood bine method (#2), but definitely got a better success rate dipping the planted ends in a rooting hormone powder first. It looks like you didn't, but don't despair. Go ahead and buy some anyway, you'll use it again next time. This time, dissove some in water to feed to all your little cuttings. It's not very expensive, and it really does make a difference. If you're super-cheapo (like me, no judgment) you can do a quick-and-dirty alternative by crushing aspirin in water, or make your own by boiling-down some fresh weeping willow branch tips.
Cheers, didn't know aspirin would do the same job!

I do have some rooting powder, but intentionally didn't use it. The last cutting that I actually got to root was from an experiment with 5 other cuttings. All the others used the powder and just rotted, the one without rooted ok - so I've avoided it here. I like the idea of diluting it down though, maybe that's the problem I had?

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:30 pm

Could be, who knows? Since you already took that into consideration, don't let me talk you out of it. Stay the course of your intended experiment.

I've successfully cloned without rooting hormone, too, so it'll probably be fine.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:22 am

Excellent method Andy, that's almost the same as I have propagated the bines I got from the National Collection. The only downfall to the plan is it's Autumn not Spring, the plant would now be starting to die back for the Winter, they will be out of sync with the seasons so as to how successful you will be I can't say.

I planted some seeds a few years ago right after hop picking had finished, they grew well until the end of October then promptly packed up and died. :(

If they are wild they could be related to umpteen varieties, they look very similar in size and bine colouration to the wild one's growing near me. As you are not in a popular hop growing area they are more likely to be seeded by birds, so could be from anywhere. Brew and find out is the best way. :wink:

I wish you luck with your cuttings keep us posted if they do make it.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Dr. Dextrin

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:03 pm

Plant propagation was a hobby of mine for a bit, but I don't think I ever did hops. Nevertheless, a few simple tips I picked up:

1. Autumn probably isn't the best time except for hardwood or root/rhizome/basal cuttings (which will tend to root as they make new growth in spring). But if you do succeed, don't be tempted to pot up before March/April.

2. You want an open free-draining planting medium. 50/50 peat and (horticultural) sharp sand is the classic mix, but perlite and vermiculite (either mixed with peat or used alone) often work even better; without the peat they tend to dry out quickly, though.

3. When making cuts, use the sharpest possible blade.

4. Rooting hormone can help, but it's not a panacea.

5. Place the cuttings at the side of the pot, not in the middle.

6. Apply gentle heat (18 to 20C) to the bottom of the pot.

7. Cover to keep the moisture in, but don't cover 100%. In my experience, this is the single most difficult thing for an amateur to get right. You want high humidity, but if it's 100% humidity, moulds will grow and the plant will just rot. That tiny bit of ventilation is critical. Once the cuttings have rooted, increase the ventilation gradually until the plants are used to normal air before potting up.

8. Drenching the cuttings in a liquid fungicide will help keep rot at bay.

9. Don't let the pot dry out.

10. The highest possible light intensity can also make a big difference.

Good luck!! :wink:

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:26 am

A really easy way to take cuttings is to cut off the fresh green shoots that you prune off to leave the stronger ones to grow up tall.
Just stick them in a jar of water, the roots will grow from the shoot, then pot them up.

andybiochem

Post by andybiochem » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:21 pm

Dr. Dextrin wrote:Plant propagation was a hobby of mine for a bit, but I don't think I ever did hops. Nevertheless, a few simple tips I picked up:

1. Autumn probably isn't the best time except for hardwood or root/rhizome/basal cuttings (which will tend to root as they make new growth in spring). But if you do succeed, don't be tempted to pot up before March/April.

2. You want an open free-draining planting medium. 50/50 peat and (horticultural) sharp sand is the classic mix, but perlite and vermiculite (either mixed with peat or used alone) often work even better; without the peat they tend to dry out quickly, though.

3. When making cuts, use the sharpest possible blade.

4. Rooting hormone can help, but it's not a panacea.

5. Place the cuttings at the side of the pot, not in the middle.

6. Apply gentle heat (18 to 20C) to the bottom of the pot.

7. Cover to keep the moisture in, but don't cover 100%. In my experience, this is the single most difficult thing for an amateur to get right. You want high humidity, but if it's 100% humidity, moulds will grow and the plant will just rot. That tiny bit of ventilation is critical. Once the cuttings have rooted, increase the ventilation gradually until the plants are used to normal air before potting up.

8. Drenching the cuttings in a liquid fungicide will help keep rot at bay.

9. Don't let the pot dry out.

10. The highest possible light intensity can also make a big difference.

Good luck!! :wink:

Excellent advice, thanks! Why doesn't my Encyclopedia of Gardening have this level of detail in?

I think, for now, I will stick with the initial plan and just let things progress as is - I hate to change an experiment half way through. When/if they fail to root & grow (and for future propagtion), I'll definitely adopt your techniques.

Dr. Dextrin wrote: 5. Place the cuttings at the side of the pot, not in the middle.
Can I ask why this would be the case? I'll take your word for it, but I have planted all my cuttings right in the middle of the pots!

Thanks again!

andybiochem

Post by andybiochem » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:34 pm

scuppeteer wrote:The only downfall to the plan is it's Autumn not Spring, the plant would now be starting to die back for the Winter, they will be out of sync with the seasons so as to how successful you will be I can't say.
Yeah, I'm prepared for them not to mature fully & produce hops. I'm more interested in this case of just getting the cuttings to root & produce some new growth which looks like it might progress to a full plant if attempted at the right time of year.

In fact...having dried the hops out that I collected, I can't say I'm too impressed with them. The first plant I thought might be a fuggles has taken on that typical wild-hop onion/chive/garlic aroma. It was almost detectable in the wet hops, but has considerably increased in the dried cones. The second plant's flowers have taken on a really odd, sweaty aroma. Not nice at all!

I know the perils of brewing with wild hops, but i'm hoping I'll stumble on a good wild hop plant at some point (there seem to be loads around the Doncaster area), and when that does happen I'll want to be sure I can take good cuttings and get a clone going!

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:26 pm

pdtnc wrote:A really easy way to take cuttings is to cut off the fresh green shoots that you prune off to leave the stronger ones to grow up tall.
Just stick them in a jar of water, the roots will grow from the shoot, then pot them up.
I took six fresh green shoots this year from my goldings and planted them directly in the ground. By the time I figured it out the last three took hold, but only made it to about three feet long. I'm not holding out a lot of hope for them coming back next year. If they don't I plan to try again next year, but next year I'll dig down a bit and include a bit of rhizome.
I'm just here for the beer.

Dr. Dextrin

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:56 am

andybiochem wrote:
Dr. Dextrin wrote: 5. Place the cuttings at the side of the pot, not in the middle.
Can I ask why this would be the case? I'll take your word for it, but I have planted all my cuttings right in the middle of the pots!

Thanks again!
I'm not sure of the precise justification, but it's something most experienced gardeners know. The usual technique is to put lots of cuttings around the outside of a single pot, possibly trimming back the leaves so they all fit. My guess would be that it's to do with more oxygen in the compost at the edges. Also, if the compost is going to go claggy, it'll probably do so in the middle.

Another tip is not to use potting compost as it has high nutrient levels that can inhibit rooting. Cutting composts have almost no nutrients. You feed the plant only once it has rooted.

But if the trick of putting cuttings in a jar of water works for hops (pdtnc's post), then go for that! It's about the simplest technique possible.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:12 pm

They were the start of season shoots, you might struggle with that technique at this late stage in the year.

andybiochem

Post by andybiochem » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:40 pm

Update...

I decided to go against my preferred approach of not changing an experiment after it has started...for better or worse! I decided it was a little unnecessary to repeat the whole experiment twice, so I decided to add a dilute solution of rooting hormone to the second set of cuttings.

This is how it currently stands...

1st Set of cuttings:

A fair number of cuttings have died and rotted somewhat. Worst-hit are the "Semi-ripe bine cuttings" (method 1) and "Softwood bine cutting with 3+ leaves" (method 2).

The other methods seem to have retained green leaves at least, with just one cutting dying off for method 5.

2nd Set of cuttings
(added the rooting hormone solution to this set)

It looks like the rooting hormone solution has scuppered most of these cuttings - lots of yellowing and leaf burn going on. Every cutting seems to be affected.
The solution of rooting powder I used was really very weak, but I guess was too strong for the cuttings. Lesson learned - use an even weaker solution!

So not looking great, however....

As I had a good number of leaves on the bines that I collected, I decided to throw a few more leaf cuttings in a propagator I used to grow up some chillis for hydroponics.
This propagator has a mix of 50/50 perlite and vermiculite - no soil at all.

3 out of the 5 cuttings I placed in here have rooted!

Each of these uses a different cutting method (methods 3,4, and 5 - see original post for descriptions of the methods).

So, so far it looks like the key to a successful cutting is in the medium, rather than the actual cutting technique.

A 50/50 mix of perlite and vermiculite has enabled 3/5 cuttings to root.

Having said this, I've not been able to see the progress of the actual roots for the soil cuttings yet.

Interesting! :?