Ahtanum

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
beer gut

Re: Ahtanum

Post by beer gut » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:52 pm

Hi guys do you think Anthumn would work with Celia for late kettle additions? In dark or pale ales?

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:52 am

beer gut wrote:Hi guys do you think Anthumn would work with Celia for late kettle additions?...
Yes, definitely. It will have a strong American hop grapefruit vibe, but if that's what you're going for, then yes.
beer gut wrote:...In dark or pale ales?
Yes, and everything in between.

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:05 am

Thanks again Seymour you are once again the dogs bollocks.

seymour

Post by seymour » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:52 am

beer gut wrote:Thanks again Seymour you are once again the dogs bollocks.
I guess that's a good thing. :)
beer gut wrote:Hi guys do you think Anthumn would work with Celia for late kettle additions?...
I remembered that I actually used that hop combo in a ruby mild awhile back. Take a look, if you're interested
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=61647&hilit=ahtanum#p648407

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:21 am

Seymour I am going too use the combo in a dark beer as well in a Indian brown ale like the style that dog fish heath brewery have ,using bourbon oak chips to finish. Using either simcoe or cluster for bitterness and then using anthumn and Celia for flavour and aroma, I haven't decided on a yeast yet Any thoughts which white labs or wyeast would be best suited.

seymour

Post by seymour » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:22 pm

beer gut wrote:Seymour I am going too use the combo in a dark beer as well in a Indian brown ale like the style that dog fish heath brewery have ,using bourbon oak chips to finish. Using either simcoe or cluster for bitterness and then using anthumn and Celia for flavour and aroma, I haven't decided on a yeast yet Any thoughts which white labs or wyeast would be best suited.
I don't know if the actual Dogfish Head brewery uses Ringwood yeast, but most clone recipes call for it. Bear in mind, Wyeast 1187 is only one of the actual Ringwood Brewery dual-strains. If you can score the real deal, it's mesmerizingly delicious in hoppy dark ales. Forum member Monkeybrew was handed a ziploc bag of it after a brewery tour. I use lots of yeast, but I keep coming back to the Ringwood dual-strain, I think it's my favourite.

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:35 pm

Hi Seymour once again your advice is amazing, I thought Ringwood yeast was Australian? I have just bought my first white labs yeast the Burton yeast strain for my English I.P.A. and my English ESB sucking the monkey :lol: .Seymour the "The Dog bollocks" is a very high complement from the northeast of England.

seymour

Post by seymour » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:20 pm

beer gut wrote:Hi Seymour once again your advice is amazing, I thought Ringwood yeast was Australian?
Thanks. No, "Ringwood is an historic market town and civil parish in Hampshire, England, located on the River Avon, close to the New Forest and north of Bournemouth" (wikipedia), not to be confused with Pride of Ringwood hops which are grown in Australia and have no direct connection to Ringwood, England.

The Ringwood Brewery was an important one in your country's craft brewing renaissance, founded in 1978 by Peter Austin when he retired as brewmaster of Hull Brewery much further north. He brought his legendary dual-strain yeast south with him, and went on to craft new classics like Ringwood Old Thumper, XXXX Porter, Boondoggle, Forty-Niner, etc. They've been part of Marstons since 2007, and Mr. Austin died last year, but I hear the beers are still uniquely tasty.

Seriously, try to getcha some of that yeast.
beer gut wrote:Seymour the "The Dog bollocks" is a very high complement from the northeast of England.
Well then, I am honoured. :)

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:40 pm

Hi I have a couple of new questions. Would Anthumn work better in a American brown ale with liberty or Mt hood? If I used mt hood would Anthumn aroma smother the delicate aroma of Mt hood?

BlackRocksBrewery

Post by BlackRocksBrewery » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:33 pm

Have you looked at the Punkie IPA from the Malt Miller. It has Ahtanum hops as well as Nelson Sauvin, Simcoe and Chinook as bittering hops. I have been brewing for over 45 years and I hate it that the MM has a better recipe than my own creations over the years.

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:15 am

Hi I have just had a look at the recipe and it's a bit basic, I like the hop varieties. I have never used Nelson sauvin before but i have tried some ales that have used it and I was very impressed. The reason I asked this question is I can't get vanguard hop in the UK so I have to find a replacement so from what I have read it's either Liberty or Mt hood my other thought is Willamette. In the malt miller punkie I.P.A. recipe I did not see any early additions for the bitterness and too help give the beer essential vitamins and preservatives I might have missed it. I tried brew dogs punk I.P.A. and it was shite! It tasted of sweaty cabbage and sour sweet corn.

YeastWhisperer

Post by YeastWhisperer » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:25 pm

seymour wrote: I don't know if the actual Dogfish Head brewery uses Ringwood yeast, but most clone recipes call for it. Bear in mind, Wyeast 1187 is only one of the actual Ringwood Brewery dual-strains. If you can score the real deal, it's mesmerizingly delicious in hoppy dark ales. Forum member Monkeybrew was handed a ziploc bag of it after a brewery tour. I use lots of yeast, but I keep coming back to the Ringwood dual-strain, I think it's my favourite.
Sam Calagione was influenced by the same Peter Austin designed/Alan Pugsley installed brewery that influenced me when I was first starting to brew; namely, Wild Goose Brewery. At that point in time, the brewery was located in Cambridge, Maryland, which is located on the Delmarva (Delaware, Maryland, Virginia) Peninsula. This part of Maryland is known as the "Eastern Shore" due to the fact that it is on the other side of the Chesapeake Bay.

I can confirm that the culture pitched at Wild Goose in Cambridge contained at least two strains of yeast because I plated it from a hydrometer sample I received from one of the junior brewers (it pays to bring a sterile jar to brewery tours). I transferred several colonies from the plate to different slants. At that point in time, I did not know that Ringwood was a multi-strain culture, but I knew something was wrong when I made an underattenuated butterscotch bomb using a starter grown from one slant and a highly-attenuated beer using a starter grown from a different slant made from the same plate. I combined the two cultures, and voilà, the beer had that classic Ringwood flavor. I would also like add that I identified minor players in the original mixed-culture that I received. However, they appeared to be mutated forms of the two major players.

phatboytall
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by phatboytall » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:48 pm

Seymour, its truly beautiful to hear you talking so informatively and accurately about the Ringwood yeast and brewery given how far away you live! I live less than 1mile from it, have done the brewery tour many times, chatted to people who work there and I can confirm everything you say is true :-)

I guess my only addition would be that since the Marstons takeover things were just fine for a good few years, then about 2-3 years ago the quality of the beer really started to drop, the flavors became a lot more muted and those lovely biscuity caramel undertones in the bitters were lost to the accountants that reprocessed the recipes. (even on the tours i've been on i've seen how the malt suppliers have changed over those years, Warminster MO to Simpsons PM) The Old thumper is now weaker in abv and flavour, and the Best Bitter is in the process of being rebranded as "Razorback" to stop plummeting nationwide sales.

Many locals have switched to the local Flack Manor brewery Double Drop which is a former owner of Ringwood brewing the Best Bitter as it should be, the first time I had some it took me back 2-3 years, I had forgotten what Ringwood used to taste like.

I even have my story of when I traveled 30miles to see the only pub in Florida with a hand pump, only to walk in and find Old Thumper on!! Of course it was brewed in Maine, but I had great fun chating with those around it, and was able to confirm it tasted just like home!

I have a local brew club with two mates and we regularly call by the brewery to collect FREE yeast :-) Its a great dual strain yeast, wonderful being able to pitch so much of it as it can be a bit lazy and need gentle stiring during the process I was advised.

Anyway I came here to read about Ahtanum hop! But you sir, made me smile! haha I'll raise a glass to one of the forums most knowledgeable members!
I am not a Beer expert.....thats exactly the point.

Check out my blog where i review bottled beers
http://www.thebeerbunker.co.uk/ or find me on twitter @thebeerbunker

seymour

Post by seymour » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:26 am

Thanks for the kind words, phatboytall. Yeah, Ringwood is an obsession of mine, as you can clearly tell. Too bad about the Marstons decline.

I've read about the Flack Manor connection, I'd love to taste Double Drop someday. I know he uses similar recipes and antiquated techniques, but I don't think he uses Ringwood dual-strain yeast, does he?

Would you mind sharing more about your local brew club? My brother-in-law is a brewer (who originally got me started) and he recently moved to Bournemouth from the States...that isn't too far from you, right?

As far as Ahtanum hops, they're pretty great, smoke 'em if you got 'em. I've used Ahtanum in an American Stout and a Ruby Mild, both turned out good. I've also tasted it in delicious commercial brews from Boulevard, The Civil Life, and Stone, among others.

My tasting notes:
A unique US aroma type. I highly recommend them, even lightly sprinkled-in amongst your tried-and-true recipes for some extra citrusy complexity. Don't be deceived by the relatively low alpha acid percentage, they're aroma hops anyway so the bittering potential is irrelevant. I think of Ahtanum as Cascade but a little stranger, in a cool, refined, resiny and flowery way with extra umph. You can use them in any recipe, just as you would Cascade in the late boil or dry-hop stages. Pairs well with Crystal (but then, what doesn't?)