Ahtanum

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
AnthonyD

Ahtanum

Post by AnthonyD » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Worcester Hop Shop currently have some in 2012 Harvest. AA 4.7% I believe these are pretty hard to come by...

...so I ordered 4 packs for myself! :lol:

Just thought I'd give you the heads up!

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Ahtanum

Post by seymour » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:48 pm

+1
These are pretty special. I highly recommend Ahtanum, even lightly sprinkled-in amongst your tried-and-true recipes for some extra citrusy complexity. Don't be deceived by the relatively low alpha acid percentage, they're aroma hops anyway so the bittering potential is irrelevant.

AnthonyD

Post by AnthonyD » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:07 pm

Do you think they'd work well in your Citra Gold Seymour? Maybe as a substitute for or in addition to the Citra? Now I have both it's really no problem either way1 :)

seymour

Post by seymour » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:23 pm

AnthonyD wrote:Do you think they'd work well in your Citra Gold Seymour? Maybe as a substitute for or in addition to the Citra?
I don't think so, I know they do. :) Yes, by all means, Ahtanum works great along with the Citra in the last aroma additions. I kinda think of Ahtanum as Cascade but a little stranger, in a cool, refined, resiny and flowery way. So you can use them in any recipe, just as you would Cascade in the late boil or dry-hop stages.

I don't know if you've had the good fortune of tasting these beers, but Ahtanum is a big part of their flavour and aroma.
You can tell from this list it works equally well in pale and dark brews:

21st Amendment’s Brew Free or Die and Hop Crisis
Bridgeport’s IPA
Boulevard Bully! Porter
BrewDog 5 A.M. Saint and Punk IPA
Dogfish Head Blood Orange Hefeweizen
Hair of the Dog Doggie Claws
Laughing Dog’s Devil Dog Imperial IPA
Moylan’s Hopsickle
Samuel Adams Belgian Session and Dark Depths and Grumpy Monk and Latitude 48 IPA
Stone Pale Ale and Vertical Epic releases
Thornbridge Jaipur IPA
I'm really enjoying Ahtanum in my latest Dark Mild No. 3, along with Fuggles and Styrian Goldings/Celeia.
Last edited by seymour on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnthonyD

Post by AnthonyD » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:33 pm

I love 5am Saint and Jaipur!

Pleased I've ordered these now, I knew they were pretty hard to comeby, and used a lot commerically but haven't specifically got a recipe for them yet. Although I'm thinking of brewing an amber ale next and have come up with the following on the spot since purchase...

Recipe: Birthday Pale Ale
Brewer: Anthony Davies
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 3.24 Imp gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.00 Imp gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 3.00 Imp gal
Bottling Volume: 2.67 Imp gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 13.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 31.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.3 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 90.1 %
0.25 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (51.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.5 %
0.08 kg Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.4 %
10.00 g Nugget [13.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 4 21.5 IBUs
20.00 g Ahtanum [4.70 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 7.0 IBUs
20.00 g Ahtanum [4.70 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 2.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124 Yeast 7 -

The roasted barley is for colour only heard a couple of % points can make ales go really amber/red!

Critiques welcome. A hop thread into a recipe thread in three moves! :)

AnthonyD

Post by AnthonyD » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:34 pm

Oh and that looks a lovely mild seymour! I have been following that thread with intrigue!

seymour

Post by seymour » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:49 pm

AnthonyD wrote:Oh and that looks a lovely mild seymour! I have been following that thread with intrigue!
Thanks for the kind words. You're right, a little Roasted Barley produces a red colour, but it's kinda a one-trick pony. It'll also lend an intense roasty, charred flavour which can be nice, but maybe not exactly what you're going for. I've been chasing that elusive red colour for a couple years, and I've learned you get a deeper red colour with tastier malt complexity by skipping the roasted barley and using more gently crystalized malts instead.

Not to harp on, but here's a picture of my Mild again, containing 75% Pale, 8.5% Brown, 7% Dark Crystal, 3% Pale Chocolate, 3% Oats, 3% Molasses, .5% Toasted Walnuts.

Here's my Flyer Best, containing 61.5% Pale, 10.2% Toasted Buckwheat, 8.8% Victory, 5.7% Dark Crystal, 5.7% Oats, 1% Black Malt, 7% Corn Syrup:

AdyG
Hollow Legs

Post by AdyG » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:28 pm

I found some on eBider and my next brew is going to be Jaipur IPA using the Ahtanum with Chinook & Centennial. I can't wait to brew this, did it before with Amarillo in place of Ahtanum when I couldn't find any, so will be good to see the comparison. Shame I drank all the previous batch :(

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:15 pm

Early this year I brewed an IPA with ahtanum as one of the hops. I FWHed with antanum and glacier. They also went to dry hop with some others. While I was happy with the results I'd be hard pressed to say exactly what the ahtanum actually added, but I will say that I think ahtanum should blend well with any hops that go good with cascade.
I'm just here for the beer.

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:07 pm

Mine arrived today!

I only bought 100g though #-o

Not 100% sure what to brew with them yet. I'm thinking of perhaps adding a small amount late to a 1.040 Best Bitter?

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:49 pm

Monkeybrew wrote:Mine arrived today!

I only bought 100g though #-o

Not 100% sure what to brew with them yet. I'm thinking of perhaps adding a small amount late to a 1.040 Best Bitter?

MB
Lovely pic, My daughter likes it too! She said `Take a pic of your delivery!`. No that`s Childish! Oh Go on then!
Galaxy,
Helga,
Pride of Ringwood,
Simcoe,
Sylva,
Topaz,
Ahtanum.
Don`t know what to do with these either!
Image[/img]

WA

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:14 pm

2012 crop is reasonably abundant - long may it continue!

duffymoon

Post by duffymoon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:16 am

Does anyone know if this hop is the dominant aroma/flavour for Punk IPA? One of my favourite beers! To me it smells of freshly cut grass & tastes of pineapple!!

May have to get an order in too...

Cheers
DM

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:06 pm

Nelson Sauvin is the dominant hop in the aroma for Punk. I believe Ahtanum was used predominantly in the 'old' punk.

duffymoon

Post by duffymoon » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:31 am

Cheers Mysterio, I've used NS a lot but obviously need to increase my late additions & dry hopping!!