Noble Hops

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
barney

Noble Hops

Post by barney » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:07 am

Are there any modern noble hops?

After a couple of years brewing, it feels like I am getting a taste for certain things. I have tried out a fair few hops and I often think that this or that hop needs a crystal to support it or even roast malts with some hops. I have brewed a couple of very pale ales recently and matching the hops to the grainbill is proving quite difficult.

Where are the next generation of noble hops going to come from?

Twistedfinger
Hollow Legs

Re: Noble Hops

Post by Twistedfinger » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:05 am

Probably the good old U,S, of A. With the massive craft brew scene and their passion for hoppy beers the market over there is huge and the hop growers are well supported by the breweries such as Sierra Nevada.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:51 pm

barney wrote:Are there any modern noble hops?
Hop growers are constantly cultivating new hops, many of them noble like that grow better than the old ones and are more resistant to disease. Vanguard, sterlings, santiam, wakatu are a few examples.
I'm just here for the beer.

barney

Post by barney » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:03 pm

Rookie wrote:
Hop growers are constantly cultivating new hops, many of them noble like that grow better than the old ones and are more resistant to disease. Vanguard, sterlings, santiam, wakatu are a few examples.

ooohhh, will be on the lookout for some of those. Thanks

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:35 pm

barney wrote: Hop growers are constantly cultivating new hops, many of them noble like that grow better than the old ones and are more resistant to disease. Vanguard, sterlings, santiam, wakatu are a few examples.
ooohhh, will be on the lookout for some of those. Thanks[/quote]

I have an octoberfest lagering right now that I used vanguard in, it's similar to mittlefrueh. I have sterlings growing in my backyard and they make a real good Czech pilsner in place of saaz. I have some wakatu waiting to be used, they are supposed to be very noble like with just a hint of lime. Those will be going into the next batch of coconut wheat I brew.
I'm just here for the beer.

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:42 pm

I have tried out a fair few hops and I often think that this or that hop needs a crystal to support it or even roast malts with some hops. I have brewed a couple of very pale ales recently and matching the hops to the grainbill is proving quite difficult.
I find a lot of Craft brewer examples of new hops go for a very dry light/pale beer to showcase the hop. I find that tends to highlight astringency, so I agree having a touch of malt/body helps offset the astringency, plus going for less assertive bittering but late hopping instead helps. I don't like the flavour of crystal and go for caraplis or caracoled instead and increasingly around 200g of oats males or porridge - have you tried hat approach?

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:49 am

New versions of noble hops have been developed in USA and NZ and, whilst not strictly noble hops, are similar, abd used in place of them. Most NZ hops are German hops crossed with NZ varieties.

NZ: Riwaka and Motueka are Saaz based. Wakatu and Pacifica have Hallertau aroma parentage. Wa-iti and Kohatu are possiblrs, both aroma hops.

USA: Mount Hood, Liberty, Crystal, Vanguard all have Hallertau roots. Ultra, Sterling are mixes involving Hallertau and Saaz, and Santiam crosses Hallertau Mittelfruh and Tettnang. All these are noble type hops bred to be used in place of noble hops, for reasons like supply, disease resistance and new variations on traditional aromas.

Google any hop and you can find out their make up and brewing characteristics.

barney

Post by barney » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:04 pm

Some good ideas there to try, thanks.

Will try the Oats thing as well. I have some golden naked oats somewhere.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:23 pm

This is a useful article about NZ hops:

http://www.beergeek.co.nz/nz-hops.html