What is your favourite Australia/New Zealand hop variety?

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Re: What is your favourite Australia/New Zealand hop variety

Post by scuppeteer » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:41 pm

keith1664 wrote:
legion wrote:
scuppeteer wrote:Riwaka was a bit of a let down, maybe it was the brew so will try again shortly.
That's not good to hear, have just ordered 500g of riwaka from a nz brew shop...
Link please, I made an awesome beer with it once and haven't been able to get hold of it since!
Really? Will they post to UK then? That's got to make them damn expensive.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

timbo41
Under the Table
Location: nr two big USAFE bases. youll HAVE TO SHOUT! brandon suffolk

Post by timbo41 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:28 pm

Recently did an all extract with p.o.r and ella. Positve feedback so far. Wasn't so keen on wai_ti. But I may have simply overpowered it

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70316
Just like trying new ideas!

legion
Hollow Legs

Post by legion » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:11 pm

[quote="scuppeteer"
Really? Will they post to UK then? That's got to make them damn expensive.[/quote]

My relative won a holiday to new Zealand, I have got the hops delivered to their hotel in Auckland and she will bring them back to the uk :-)

The flight connects at dubai and I have been spending a fair amount of time trying to confirm that its OK to transport the hops through Dubai airport.
Maidstone Brewers Homebrew Meets - Next Meet 14:00 Wednesday 27 December
https://Twitter.com/maidstonebrews https://www.facebook.com/groups/maidstonebrewers

wally
Steady Drinker

Post by wally » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:54 am

Galaxy used to be my go to hop, but it's easily overdone as a bittering hop. You need to be careful also if dry hopping with it as it can be quite "grassy". I've gotten quite tired of it.

There is a variety here called Victoria; not to be confused with Victoria's Secret. It's not grown commercially but kept going by home brewers. It tastes like loquats,(citrus, mango, peach like flavours). I think it is related to Galaxy. It's a love it or hate it flavour.

Nelson Sauvin is not bad. I had a great beer from a home brewer which used NS and Green Bullet.

However I tend to use US, English and European hops mostly.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:33 am

Bump. Anyone else?

I tasted Schlafly Hop Trial: Enigma last week. I liked the aroma better than the flavour, but it was still really complex and tasty, especially for a single hop brew.

I also brewed an Australian Pale Ale recently with only Ella (formerly Stella) hops. Smelling great at every step of the way, but I haven't bottled it yet. High hopes for the finished beer.

DaveyT
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by DaveyT » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:15 pm

I've just done a Vic Secret and Pacific Jade comparison. I brewed 12 litres using each in equal measure throughout the boil (60 min, 10 min and flame out additions), then split the batch into two FVs and dry hopped with a single hop in each.
The both came out tasting wonderfully, but I prefer the Pacific Jade. It's a lot like Nelson Sauvin with white wine and apricot flavours and I find it really more-ish. The Vic Secret has very strong tropical fruit flavours and when I started out I thought the PJ were a dead loss as they didn't smell as appealing. I find I've had enough after a pint, though.
Randy Mosher speculates that PJ would be nice in a saison. I tried that before this experiment and he's right; it's great.
Evolution didn't end with us growing thumbs.
Bill Hicks

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:27 am

Pride of ringwood it's massivaly misunderstood and from what I'm hearing it's gonna become like rocking horse shit in this country as no one wants it try using it as a 20 minute aroma addition

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Beer O'Clock » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:32 pm

I require a regular supply of PoR around April every year. I produce a Coopers Sparkling clone along with a Coop's PA and Dark. All of which use PoR and The WL Australian Ale yeast. It was unavailable a few years ago so I bought 500g from a stockist in Adelaide and collected on my travels back there to visit family.
The last few years have been OK supply wise in UK.
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:13 am

The only place I can see that now sell is Worcester hop shop unless you know somewhere else