wilds in essex

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
timbo41
Under the Table
Location: nr two big USAFE bases. youll HAVE TO SHOUT! brandon suffolk

wilds in essex

Post by timbo41 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:26 pm

Folks, any one in Halstead / Sible Hedingham area....there us a large stand of wilds on the road between. On right from Halstead, just past gun club turn off. Just now reddening at bottom of cone , red bines.Will have a nose tomorrow.
Just like trying new ideas!

timbo41
Under the Table

Re: wilds in essex

Post by timbo41 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:11 pm

sorry guys had no chance to look but can tell you its a dense but sporadic stand big cones red bines reddish tinge to bottom of cone ...hopefully somone will look

andyCo

Post by andyCo » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:25 pm

I worked in Sibel Hedingham , nice place .
A bit to far for a hop hunt for me sadly.
Sible Hedingham was the last place in Essex where hops were grown and they were considered to be superior to any others in the county. Hops can still be found growing wild in some hedgerows. To process the various crops of the local farmers there were once three windmills, two watermills, eight maltings and a tannery in Alderford Street. At least two public houses had their own hopfields and breweries.
Andy

timbo41
Under the Table

Post by timbo41 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:14 am

Cheers Andy. Deffo have a good look then next week. Sible used to have loads of pubs...sadly most are gone. Even the Sugar Loaves is boarded up

philbyford

Post by philbyford » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:24 pm

I live not too far away in Bures, so will try and have a look. Planning on brewing this weekend, so might try my luck at some wild wet hops!

YeastWhisperer

Post by YeastWhisperer » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:44 pm

We need photos! :)

GrowlingDogBeer
Even further under the Table

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:04 am

A local fairly big brewery to me picks their wild hops in Sible Hedingham for their annual Wild Hop brew.

timbo41
Under the Table

Post by timbo41 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:17 am

philbyford wrote:I live not too far away in Bures, so will try and have a look. Planning on brewing this weekend, so might try my luck at some wild wet hops!
Check your hedgerows mate...there's another big lump in a134 just outside Nayland

timbo41
Under the Table

Post by timbo41 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:20 am

YeastWhisperer wrote:We need photos! :)

Try this

adult image hosting

YeastWhisperer

Post by YeastWhisperer » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:33 pm

Nice!

philbyford

Post by philbyford » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:05 pm

Went down and picked a few today...

As Timbo said, they are found on the 'fast bend' just as you cross the river on the right hand side. Plenty of them!!

They are found on red bines, long, square in shape, fairly tight in structure, with reddening tips. They bounce back when squashed, papery to touch and have a good amount of lupulin inside. Aroma is quite grassy and vegetal. I made a tea and aroma mellowed out a bit, with hints of mint. I'd say they were pretty ripe for harvesting! Anyone have an idea what variety these might be? Not sure they'd be any good for aroma qualities, but might serve as good bittering hops. Any ideas for storing? I was thinking of drying, but not sure on the best way? I'll try to load some more pics up to help.

Thanks guys.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:20 pm

Bump.

So, did any of you guys brew with these wild Essex hops yet? If so, how did the ale turn out?

Cheers!

timbo41
Under the Table

Post by timbo41 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:31 am

Sort of. 150g in a short boil with dme, added to a scottish export kit. If anything,as still conditioning, i got an earthy,typically english aroma but subtle not boom! Also, slightly spicy. If anything, id say these were fuggly(!) Varietal.
Seeing them all over area now, bit late though.
Seymour, were you aware Adnams put a call out to homebrewers for wild hops, for a seasonal brew? In return,a few bottles and an evaluation? Enterprising!!
Folks, if you pm me your hometown, ill see if i can point you to some wilds for next season...im out in area a lot

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:17 pm

timbo41 wrote:Sort of. 150g in a short boil with dme, added to a scottish export kit. If anything,as still conditioning, i got an earthy,typically english aroma but subtle not boom! Also, slightly spicy. If anything, id say these were fuggly(!) Varietal...
Nothing wrong with that, sounds nice and classic. Have you considered transplanting a rhizome from a particularly desirable plant to your own garden?
timbo41 wrote:...Seymour, were you aware Adnams put a call out to homebrewers for wild hops, for a seasonal brew? In return,a few bottles and an evaluation? Enterprising!!
No, I hadn't heard that. Very cool concept. Did you participate? Did you taste the resulting beer?

timbo41
Under the Table

Post by timbo41 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:33 pm

http://adnams.co.uk/about/news/beer-new ... needs-you/

Not as yet, but ill be keeping an eye out! Also, TallyHo is back in bottle conditioned form
As to rhoizome, the idea interests me. But the big stand I mentioned in original post is mixed heavily with hedgerow on edge of culvert. When I find one more accessible, ill have a go. Is it possible to procure a known male, and cross pollinate for known characteristics. I know you've an interest