Thoughts on what to grow

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Mike8578
Steady Drinker

Thoughts on what to grow

Post by Mike8578 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:27 pm

Hi all,

Looking to get some thoughts from those that have been growing their own as to what might be best to start with.

Based in south Manchester and have a fairly decent sized garden. At the bottom we've recently removed 8 large conifers and had it properly fenced (backs on to a rail line). it's up a slight slope so it's not going to be usable so will be planted up regardless. That end is also south-facing and I have a bare fencing run of about 30ft.

After doing a bit of reading I had in mind trying Sovereign, but I can't seem to find any available anywhere! I've put a query into A-Plus but in the meantime was wondering what else might be worth considering?

Would prefer a British variety and it has to be fairly manageable without requiring big poles everywhere - convincing the other half has been enough of a task as it is without introducing anything that might be considered an "eye-sore" :lol:

bevan100
Tippler

Re: Thoughts on what to grow

Post by bevan100 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:17 pm

I grow cascade and live in Worcestershire turns out well

NOZ
Piss Artist

Post by NOZ » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:27 pm

Ive got fuggle,goldings,cascade and chinook all growing up my garage - they are all in flower at the mo - seem to be doing well! Im in Stockport.

NOZ
Piss Artist

Post by NOZ » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:28 pm

Mike8578
Steady Drinker

Post by Mike8578 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:38 pm

What sort of height are you guys expecting though - that's my main worry. Can they be trained across or over rather than up? I seem to recall that even when people attempt to train them along wires horizontally they still try and make a bid to go vertical!

Apparently the Sovereign is a restricted variety, so only available to certain growers. Prima Donna seems to be the only available hedgerow variety.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:03 am

Depending on how long your conifers have been there you may have an issue with soil acidity.

Found this on the interweb.

http://hops.msu.edu/uploads/files/ferti ... r_hops.pdf

Quite a useful document.

Wouldn't bother with Sovereign, one of my least favourite hops, plenty of other decent ones out there. If you want dwarf can't go wrong with First Gold.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:58 pm

scuppeteer wrote:Depending on how long your conifers have been there you may have an issue with soil acidity.

Found this on the interweb.

http://hops.msu.edu/uploads/files/ferti ... r_hops.pdf

Quite a useful document.

Wouldn't bother with Sovereign, one of my least favourite hops, plenty of other decent ones out there. If you want dwarf can't go wrong with First Gold.
Scupps, that is a very useful document, thank you very much for sharing.

I agree about Sovereign hops. I've had a couple good beers brewed with Sovereign, but more which I disliked. There are so many better hop varieties to spend your time and effort on.