Plant pot size for hop rhiazones

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Plant pot size for hop rhiazones

Post by sbond10 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:18 am

Since ag brewing I've noticed my brewing area gets a lot of sun. But I'm an all concrete garden so pots would have to do. Any tips on pot size and how to grow these things for a fairly crap gardener. What breeds best for a novice and where to um from ?

NOZ
Piss Artist

Re: Plant pot size for hop rhiazones

Post by NOZ » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:18 pm

I grew all mine in pots - I bought the biggest I could find(70litre I think!) I grew cascade, goldings, fuggle and chinook - out of all of them the chinook yielded the best harvest and ive managed to brew two beers with the hops I harvested.
I just watered them regularly and fed them every two weeks or so once they became established. Easy really - I planted them in the pots just before Christmas and covered the tops of the pots with bags so they wouldnt become waterlogged. I uncovered them once the frosts stopped and they soon sprouted.

Cheers,

Noz.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:00 am

The bigger the better. Most tall varieties struggle in pots once established after a couple of years. Get a First Gold/Prima Donna (dwarf) they fair better. A-Plus hops are one of the best cultivators.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:28 am

Cheers ill try prima Donna silly question when you say covered with a bin nag I'm guessing until about April just give it a water every now n then ?