Best way to store hops

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
iant175
Sober

Best way to store hops

Post by iant175 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:54 am

Now being the proud possessor of around 1kg of hops from phatboytall's group buy, I was wondering what the best way to store them as this is clearly more hops than I'll be able to use in a short time.

They are currently all vacuum packed which I gather is an excellent way to keep them, but once the pack is opened I guess they will degrade quite quickly.

I was planning to split them down into manageable amounts (say 10 x 50g for each hop) but it still would be quite a few months before they are used.

I do not possess a vacuum packer, so was wondering if (as a relatively straight-forward way) there would be any mileage in putting the 50g splits into sandwich bags and popping them in the freezer? I believe they are all leaf hops - would there be any different recommendation for the storage of pellets?

Thanks all!

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Re: Best way to store hops

Post by scuppeteer » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:42 pm

Yep, works fine for both. If they're the seal type bags squeeze the air out as well.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

BenB

Re: Best way to store hops

Post by BenB » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:27 pm

You can get oxygen scavenging sachets. They obviously come in a sealed bag- but if you were bagging up lots of hops you could use a whole packet of sachets in one go (otherwise you're supposed to reseal the packet). I go to town with my hops- sealed in a mylar bag with my snorkelvac with an oxygen scavenging sachet for good measure then in the deep freeze. Unfortunately the side effect of the fact that I can store hops is that my freezer is full of mylar packets and the wife isn't happy!!!