Found this in my simcoe...

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Mattpc
Piss Artist

Post by Mattpc » Wed May 11, 2016 3:03 pm

Found this piece of plastic or something in my simcoe... Should I be worried? Obviously I'm not going to put that piece of hop in but will the rest be OK to use?
Image1462975419.409395.jpg

Mr. Dripping

Re: Found this in my simcoe...

Post by Mr. Dripping » Wed May 11, 2016 3:43 pm

I wouldn't worry about it.....I've found all sorts in leaf hops over the years.....plastic, string, big boulders :lol:

scotsloon
Piss Artist

Post by scotsloon » Wed May 11, 2016 3:48 pm

Just remember to take 'em out. The boil will sanitize anything like that.

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Wed May 11, 2016 5:14 pm

Mr. Dripping wrote:I wouldn't worry about it.....I've found all sorts in leaf hops over the years.....plastic, string, big boulders :lol:
Yep is the twigs that piss me off.

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Wed May 11, 2016 6:05 pm

I accept the twigs as par for course really.
I mentioned boulders above...in a pack I once found 2 seizable stones that weighed 12g, so quite a percentage of the pack weight. Of more concern were the smaller ones I found in the bottom of my Braumeister after I'd drained....I'm very surprised they didn't smash the pump impeller to bits.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed May 11, 2016 6:46 pm

Mr. Dripping wrote:I accept the twigs as par for course really.
I mentioned boulders above...in a pack I once found 2 seizable stones that weighed 12g, so quite a percentage of the pack weight. Of more concern were the smaller ones I found in the bottom of my Braumeister after I'd drained....I'm very surprised they didn't smash the pump impeller to bits.
The pump should not be working once the hops are added.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Mattpc
Piss Artist

Post by Mattpc » Wed May 11, 2016 7:46 pm

I've had plenty of twigs which are annoying but bearable. Not to chuffed about plastic. I've dicarded the pack and to be fair the supplier is replacing it without quibble.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Wed May 11, 2016 7:48 pm

British hops tend to be the worst for non hop material, I've found twine and even a cigarette butt in a packet once :(

Wezzel

Post by Wezzel » Wed May 11, 2016 8:41 pm

I wouldn't worry. Hops are not exactly sterile. They're a plant after all and grow outdoors in the soil where they become home to insects and get sh!t on by birds. I'd have used them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Wed May 11, 2016 9:25 pm

In another thread, I recall a respected seller on here saying how they sort through the hops specifically to reduce this sort of thing before selling on, so it must be quite common in what the producers supply. Without that attention to detail, I wonder how much rubbish goes through the commercial brewer's systems.

No doubt a few things can escape even the best intentions, though personally that bit of plastic wouldn't have worried me much, I'm sure the hops themselves would be fine. Its commendable that the pack is being replaced without quibble though. =D>
Kev

Mattpc
Piss Artist

Post by Mattpc » Wed May 11, 2016 10:33 pm

Yep I agree that's good customer service. It means I will order again! I'm fussy because I feed beer to other people (socially not
Commercially) so I want things to be right. I realise hops aren't sterile but....

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu May 12, 2016 8:03 am

Dennis King wrote:
Mr. Dripping wrote:I wouldn't worry about it.....I've found all sorts in leaf hops over the years.....plastic, string, big boulders :lol:
Yep is the twigs that piss me off.
Aren't they mostly strobiles? :D
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Thu May 12, 2016 9:44 am

orlando,
orlando wrote:
A strobilus (plural: strobili) is a structure present on many land plant species consisting of sporangia-bearing structures densely aggregated along a stem. Strobili are often called cones, but many botanists restrict the use of the term cone to the woody seed strobili of conifers.

Sorry, couldn`t resist! :D

WA

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu May 12, 2016 11:54 am

WalesAles wrote:orlando,
orlando wrote:
A strobilus (plural: strobili) is a structure present on many land plant species consisting of sporangia-bearing structures densely aggregated along a stem. Strobili are often called cones, but many botanists restrict the use of the term cone to the woody seed strobili of conifers.

Sorry, couldn`t resist! :D

WA
I meant the Strig #-o Knew it began with S, which is pretty good for my memory these days. :oops:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Thu May 12, 2016 8:08 pm

orlando wrote:
I meant the Strig #-o Knew it began with S, which is pretty good for my memory these days. :oops:
orlando,
Did you mean strig or string or sting or something else beginning with `S`
Gaw! What are you like! :D

WA