Wild Hops near Surrey-Kent Border?

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
DeGarre
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Wild Hops near Surrey-Kent Border?

Post by DeGarre » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:21 pm

I missed the fun last summer but this year intend to keep my eyes peeled for wild hops near Oxted, Westerham, Crockham Hill, Toys Hill, Edenbridge area where I do a fair bit of rambling and running. Hopefully I'll get to brew a wild green hop ale this year. I will gladly share information should I find anything.

sladeywadey
Hollow Legs

Re: Wild Hops near Surrey-Kent Border?

Post by sladeywadey » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:39 pm

are you still brewing commercially, Degarre?

DeGarre

Post by DeGarre » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:23 pm

sladeywadey wrote:are you still brewing commercially, Degarre?
We still are although "commercially" might be stretching it a bit... :)

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:51 pm

DeGarre wrote:
sladeywadey wrote:are you still brewing commercially, Degarre?
We still are although "commercially" might be stretching it a bit... :)
Stretch away. When I had my first Last Drop piece published in Zymurgy I started calling myself a "beer writer".
It was a lot classier of a title than my previous one: "semi-retired free lance lay about." :lol:
I'm just here for the beer.

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:12 am

There used to be a patch of them on an industrial estate Riverside Way DA1 5BS next to the Coffee place (I picked them 2012) - no longer work around that area so am unsure if they still exist.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

DeGarre

Post by DeGarre » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:37 pm

Thanks Barneey, DA1 is a bit out of my way.

First scouting today, will go for a run on footpaths near and through farms, will pay special attention to old hedgerows, saw some interesting looking leaves when driving through the area (basically country lanes between just south of Crockham Hill and Merle Common).

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:52 pm

I'd love to find some wild hops. I have often found wild blackberries that I've used a couple of times.
I'm just here for the beer.

DeGarre

Post by DeGarre » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:52 am

So far I have found a few hop plants, couple of them out of bounds (someone's garden, check out properties with converted oast houses...). One plant is growing over a wooden fence and can be reached but is overlooked by some windows so a night raid or a permission would be needed. And then there is quite a lot of growth along one secluded footpath, some beginnings of flowers/cones are evident. But the hunt continues.

DeGarre

Post by DeGarre » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:25 pm

Two very secluded hedgerows found, easy and safe access, burrs showing in one of them, haven't visited the other lately.

legion
Hollow Legs

Post by legion » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:13 pm

I spoke to the owner of house in Barming who had hops growing in his front garden and he was happy for me to take some.

I have done two wild hop brews, they have been on, but I had hoped for them to be better and do not intend to do anymore
Maidstone Brewers Homebrew Meets - Next Meet 14:00 Wednesday 27 December
https://Twitter.com/maidstonebrews https://www.facebook.com/groups/maidstonebrewers

DeGarre

Post by DeGarre » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:25 pm

Crockham Hill towards Chartwell, found the most promising growth so far, secluded footpath near a converted oast house.

DeGarre

Post by DeGarre » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:27 pm

Crockham Hill towards Chartwell, found the most promising growth so far, secluded footpath near a converted oast house.

DeGarre

Post by DeGarre » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:19 am

Two of the places have good sized cones growing, one site unfortunately has a male hop. Also just noticed that the hedgerow across the street from The Roayl Oak in Crockham Hill has loads of cones - easy pickings!

robbym123
Steady Drinker

Post by robbym123 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:40 pm

I've found a nice big patch of hedgerow hops just outside Reigate in Surrey. Is there any way of assessing (without a laboratory) whether they are a variety best used for bittering or aroma additions - or even better identify a variety. I know that i could just chuck a load in and hope for the best, but it would be great to make a slightly more informed guess. They are about 2-3cm long, i can see some lupulin 'dust' inside them. When rubbed they smell mildly hoppy.

Would be happy to share the location by PM in return for id advice. I've got some photos i could share.... ?.

windrider
Piss Artist

Post by windrider » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:09 pm

robbym123 wrote:I've found a nice big patch of hedgerow hops just outside Reigate in Surrey. Is there any way of assessing (without a laboratory) whether they are a variety best used for bittering or aroma additions - or even better identify a variety. I know that i could just chuck a load in and hope for the best, but it would be great to make a slightly more informed guess. They are about 2-3cm long, i can see some lupulin 'dust' inside them. When rubbed they smell mildly hoppy.

Would be happy to share the location by PM in return for id advice. I've got some photos i could share.... ?.
You could make a hop tea. Just boil some water and add some hops and let steep for 5 - 10 mins or so. Chill then smell, taste and try the tea and see what flavours you get.

If you like it go ahead and brew with it :D Just remember you need to use more 'wet hops' in the brew than normal.