Laterals

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Laterals

Post by scuppeteer » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:25 pm

Anyone else have issues with their home grown hops pushing out huge laterals this year? My Sussex and a wild one I grew from seed are going mental, some of them are 2ft long! :shock:
Must be weather related but I'm quite sure last year wasn't much different. :?
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Pegasus
Steady Drinker

Re: Laterals

Post by Pegasus » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:35 am

My Challenger has 2ft laterals, the Golding about a foot and Fuggles 3-6 inch. It's their 1st year so can't comment on what's normal.

BTW, they're about 3 feet from the top of their lines (17-18 feet). Didn't expect this in the 1st year and growing in 45litre pots. Do you just let them keep going once at top (do they ever stop?) or do you pinch out the tops (as in runner beans)?

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Post by Coffeeuk » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:16 am

Yes, my first gold is the same.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:54 pm

Pegasus wrote:Do you just let them keep going once at top (do they ever stop?) or do you pinch out the tops (as in runner beans)?
They'll start to slow up as it's mid summers day now and begin to get ready for producing cones. Never take off the heads.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC