First time growing

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

First time growing

Post by Matt in Birdham » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:40 am

Now that we have our own pad (and garden) I've put a couple of hops in; Centennial and Cascade. Thrilled to see both have broken ground recently - pic of the Centennial below:

This one has 6 shoots at the moment. Can any seasoned growers advise on how many to leave? Given that this is first season from a new rhizome. I was thinking perhaps leave 3? The plan is to grow them up and along a large garden shed (perhaps over the gable end).

Hanglow
Under the Table

Re: First time growing

Post by Hanglow » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:00 pm

I'm pretty sure commercial hop growers only cut back bines so things are nice and orderly for harvesting. As homegrowers we don't really need to do that. I've only been growing a couple of years but I only cut back my second year plant a bit, the others I let them grow as such young plants would be able to take less damage than older plants

I'm sure there have been a couple of brewing network podcasts about hop growing and they recommended that too, although its been ages since I listened to them

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:06 pm

When i grew mine a few years back i cut back so there was three bines. This seemed to work rearly well. I grew mine up and along the front of my garage up past the gable end. Loooked really good as the cones were forming.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:18 am

Leave them all for the first year as it strengthens the root stock.
Depending on how many strings you put up per plant, usually 2 or 3, then you can train a couple of bines per string for future years.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:44 pm

Thanks all. I'll let them go for this year and see how things look next year. I know not to expect too much in year 1, but still quietly hoping for at least enough for a brew! (realistic?)

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:20 pm

Matt in Birdham wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:44 pm
Thanks all. I'll let them go for this year and see how things look next year. I know not to expect too much in year 1, but still quietly hoping for at least enough for a brew! (realistic?)
The reading I did before starting growing my own stated 5 or 6 bines - even in year 1.

Last years 1st year harvesters (if you know what I mean) were a Cascade and a Fuggles. Despite the fact all 5 lead bines on the Cascade were broken off by high winds when around 12ft tall and I had to 're-train' the 1st available side shoots to 'take the lead', I still managed to harvest about 250g dry weight. The Fuggles did a bit better at 400g so together will cover most of my dry-hopping this year.

My 2nd year Northdown however gave me a crop of just over 2kg - cones all over the damn place (and having restricted it to 5 bines in year 1) - base bittering hop this year. First Gold came it at around 1kg.

I've finally managed to get the Northdown planted properly - was in a patio pot but sat on soil. Had to sever the tap root unfortunately to move it so we'll have to see what damage that's done. The root itself was over an inch thick - quite amazing for a 2 year old plant.