Moving plants and rhizome ordering warning

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Moving plants and rhizome ordering warning

Post by Meatymc » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:17 pm

Been in touch with alpus hops today (https://www.aplus-hops.co.uk/) to find out the best time to move my plants - something I have to do unfortunately. They very kindly sent me the following reply:

With regards to moving the established hop plants I would suggest that doing it shortly would be beneficial as
the plants would soon re – establish themselves and develop more fibrous roots in the new year by February there
should be a reasonable regrowth.

Firstly cut off the top growth as this will stop any over wintering of pests and diseases leaving on 3 – 4 inches
making the plants easier to hold once lifted.

Carefully cut round the plants with a spade leaving about 1ft either side of the crown. Then using a fork gently
tease the soil from around the roots but leaving the main crown in-tact. Do not worry if you have some damage to the
extended root system as these will recover extremely quickly. But not disturbing the crown too much when replanting
I would expect you to achieve approximately half a crop next year with increasing yields in subsequent years.

When planting in your new bed, my suggestion would be to incorporate some Fish Blood and Bonemeal this will help
the plant recover and establish more fibrous roots quickly and feed the plant in the new growing season.

I asked if I could up-load to the forum. They are quite happy for me to do so but asked if I would include the following addition:

Please however can you state, that when purchasing new plants that they be obtained from certified stock. (not necessarily from us but
another outlet with certified stock mentioned on their website this will certainly help keep problems at bay)
Imported ones from the U.S.A. are not always clear from Hop Stunt viroid and this is a real threat to the hop industry here in the U.K. and Europe alike.

It would spread throughout the country like wildfire because we have so many hops growing in hedgerows.
This disease is endemic in the U.S.A. and their stocks are not produced to the high standard of hygiene or certification
that most growers adhere to in this part of the world. Your help in this would be most appreciated.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Re: Moving plants and rhizome ordering warning

Post by Hanglow » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:03 pm

Nice one

I took some cuttings last year and they seem to have taken fairly well, so repotted them last week.

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:45 pm

I’ve never heard of this, very good to know.
Imported ones from the U.S.A. are not always clear from Hop Stunt viroid and this is a real threat to the hop industry here in the U.K. and Europe alike.

It would spread throughout the country like wildfire because we have so many hops growing in hedgerows.
This disease is endemic in the U.S.A. and their stocks are not produced to the high standard of hygiene or certification
that most growers adhere to in this part of the world. Your help in this would be most appreciated.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:28 pm

When visiting the National hop collection a few weeks ago Dr Peter Darby told my group the same thing.

In particular if you have Centennial sourced pre 2015 (may have been 2014) then it may carry HSV, as there was no plants available in the UK that were clear of HSV (unless purchased from APlus Hops).
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.