Summer and Hull Melon Hop combo

If you have a hop related question about International Bittering Units or alpha acid, post it here!
CestrIan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Summer and Hull Melon Hop combo

Post by CestrIan » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:30 am

Haven't used either of these hops before and not a lot about them on the internet apart from they are both a bit melony and that they are both a bit underwhelming. This is almost all I've got left before my next order, so they need to get used up at the weekend. I will probably make a 5% pale ale and bitter with something else (probably Galena) and throw the 100g of each of these in at flame out.

I'm a bit worried it might be a bit bland though (don't want 5 gallons of dish water) so might bottle half the batch and dry hop the other half with Ahtanum.

Anybody tried this Summer / Hull Melon combo before or any thoughts from those who've tried either of them appreciated.

Cheers Ian
Stay Home - Make Beer - Drink Beer

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Re: Summer and Hull Melon Hop combo

Post by Robwalkeragain » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:43 am

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. You'll flash off a lot of the aroma at flame out, dry hopping is usually better if you're after hop forward. I've used hallertauer blanc and mandarina Bavaria, two new German hops, and I was impressed with both so hopefully huell melon will be similarly impressive

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:23 pm

Summer is a fairly low cohumulone hop (20-25%). You might consider it for bittering to get a softer bitterness.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:27 pm

They've stopped growing Summer hops apparently. So make the most of them...

CestrIan

Post by CestrIan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:31 am

Thanks for the replies guys.

@Rob I've only got these in whole hops and I only really dry hop with pellets, so flame out it is.

@HTH that's a good idea, might use some Summer for bittering. Galena can be quite harsh. Probably doesn't go with these delicate late hops.

@Clibit didn't know that - I will savour every drop :D [mental note not to guzzle the lot]

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:42 am

CestrIan wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:31 am

@Rob I've only got these in whole hops and I only really dry hop with pellets, so flame out it is.
CestrIan,
Why don`t you dry hop with Leaf Hops?
Why do you only dry hop with pellets?

WA

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:29 pm

WalesAles wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:42 am
CestrIan wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:31 am

CestrIan,
Why don`t you dry hop with Leaf Hops?
Why do you only dry hop with pellets?

WA
I tend to only use pellets for dry hopping too - I think they work better for this purpose and are easier to submerge (whole hops are more difficult to sink).

beer baron
Tippler

Post by beer baron » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:44 pm

Huell Melon is very mild in strength I have used it in Golden ales Lagers and Hefe. Try to use it on its own as most other hops will overpower it> it does go well with lager/kolsch styles as a bridge ale for lager drinkers to get them away from the pish

CestrIan

Post by CestrIan » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:52 am

I bottled it in the end. Not the brew .. the combo. I watched a few youtube tasters say that hull melon is quite bland with a tea sort of tanin after taste. If I want that, I'll have a cup of tea. The concensus on Summer is it's a bit meh too!
I used the Summer hops as bittering hops in a citra/mosaic IPA dry hopped with citra, ahtanum, apollo and chinook. So guess I'm not really gunna experience the last of the Summer hops. Soz Clibit! I guess the reason they stopped growing them though is because they're a bit shit.

WalesAles - I'm sure it's different for everyone, but I prefer to brew with whole hops because they help to filter the break material from the kettle and pellets tend to get stuck in my hop filters. I prefer to dry hop with pellets, because whole hops don't want to sink or absorb any beer and I find pellets break up very easily so you get much better dry hop flavour from pellets. I only dry hop for 4 or 5 days tops, so it doesn't go grassy and I give them a gentle stir to rouse them every day. This has just become a rule of thumb for me with my system over the years after many stuck kettle drains. Everyones set up is slightly different though. It's just what works best for you.